The Dead Forest

Val's POV

 I blinked my eyes open once, before rapidly clenching them shut as my head began to throb unbearably.  I struggled to steady my heaving breaths as soon as the air around quickly got thick.  Remember that thing that the stupid health teacher forced you to learn.  That thingy that helped you relax.  I HATE MY MEMORY SOMETIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!  She told us too.....................too.....................think about..................................about....................................DIRT!!!!!!  Imagine that you're sinking into the ground with each breathe you take.  Relax me!  Come you've got to relax if you want to live!  I think to my self as I go light-headed with my head still throbbing.  I relaxed my tensing muscles as I let my imagination soar.  I was sinking into the ground with each breath I took.  Letting the cool, damp soil cover me as I relaxed.  It began to get easier to breath as the thick air slowly lessened its hold.  I lay on the ground panting as I wait to regain my breath and for my head to quit throbbing.  By the time I'd regained my breath, the throbbing pain in my head only lessened into a major headache.  I blinked once or twice and then waited for my eyes to dilate in order to see more clearly where ever I was at.  I waited five or ten minutes before I finally realized that it wasn't going to get any lighter than seeing the dim shadows of the people who were with me where I was.  I attempt to move my hands but they were firm stuck behind my back.  Why didn't I notice that before???  Oh yeah, I was about to suffocate and die of pain as soon as I woke up.  I wiggled them around as I tugged against the tight bonds that some how encased my wrists while I was unconscious.  I roll myself onto my back and pant softly.  Exercising really isn't my thing, I'm too lazy to really do any real work.  At least the air wasn't getting thick like it did before; I'd probably die if it did.  I try to lean forward but gravity pulled me back to the ground.  I lean forward again but struggle to stay higher than four or five inches off the ground.  I groan as I collapse back onto the ground.  I think to myself, Come on Valerie.  You're not a turtle.  You can get up.  Don't be a turtle.  No turtle.  Bad turtle.  No turtle.  Turtle is no no  Turtle is bad.  Bad turtle.  NOW GET UP!!!!!!  I roared as I leap off the ground and somehow flip myself over only to land on the ground face down.  I groan again as I pull myself up once successfully.  I sat up and glanced around the.................hallway I was in.  Why a hallway???  This better not be a real life game of Slender.  I'd be scared shitless....FOCUS!!!!!!!!!!!  Why do I get distracted more easily now???  I stared at my surroundings more closely and then notice a figure on the ground snoring semi-softly.  The figure's bulky shoulders and easy to see, even through the darkness that surrounded us, thick, unruly fur reveal what the figure was almost instantaneously.  My body begins to tremble on its own according as memories remind me what had occurred in who knows how long ago.  I was glad that I couldn't see any the Vameroul's deadly and noticeable features.  They would've made me have a heart attack.....or a panic attack.  I just might have one now.

"Valerie???" A voice whispers quietly some where to the left of me. "Are you awake?" The same voice asks as I recognize its speaker.

"I.....I think so." I whispered quietly as I tried to make sure the monster stayed asleep. "Do you have any idea on how long we've been here?" I asked Daniella as I tired to find her through the darkness.  I managed to find her silhouette huddled not five feet away with, I think, a still unconscious Eleanor.

"I don't know.  I've been awake now for maybe an hour; half an hour.  I honestly have no idea.  It's nearly impossible to tell with the dark surrounding us.  I don't even have any idea how long we've been here." She responds equally as quiet voice, but her tone turns into despair. "I don't know how we'll get back.  I don't know if we're ever going to back.  I don't know when I'll see the others again.  I don't if I'll ever get to see Liam again.  I just don't know anything.  I don't even know if we'll live to see the light of another day." She whimpered as she struggled to hold back her tears.  It was easy to hear her muffled sobs that shook her body through the darkness.