Thirty-Six

Kaelyn

"Mommy, look!" Brooklyn screamed. We were at the beach and she was showing me a shell that she'd found in the sound while we built a sandcastle.

"Yeah, babe. It's pretty." I confirmed. She put it on top of the sand that was beginning to slide down.

"Mommy, let's get in the water." she screamed standing up. I got up and she ran over to the shore. The wave had died down and the water had pushed up against the shore tickling our feet and went back. She screamed a little giggle jumping up and down. I laughed, picking her carrying her further into the water. I only went far enough to where she could stand and the water wouldn't go over her head. I watched her with a smile as she played around in the water picking up shells. I splashed her lightly, earning a laugh.

"Mommy!"she laughed.

"Brooklyn here comes the water!" I yelled. She looked and as the wave rode out, she jumped. She looked at the kids swimming in the water, but went back to picking up shells.

She eventually got hungry, so we went back to where our stuff was laid out. We brought a cooler with her favorite snacks and sandwich stuff.

"What you want to eat, babe?" I asked. She looked over into the cooler from her beach chair, humming.

"That!" she pointed at the grapes that she'd begged me to pack. I gave her one of the small zip lock bags that were already filled with grapes and a small water bottle. I sat on the ground on our beach blanket that was spread onto the sand. I scrolled on my Instagram, liking a few of the post a couple of fan pages made and some of my friends' post.

"Mommy, I wanna get back in the water." she said.

"Just a minute." I responded. She yawned and stretched, allowing me to take a quick picture.

I pulled her off of the beach chairs that was in the sun and put her beside me on the soft beach blanket

I pulled her off of the beach chairs that was in the sun and put her beside me on the soft beach blanket. She yawned again putting her head onto my shoulder. Soon, I heard light snores from below me. Time for us to go. I gently slipped from underneath her and packed our things up. I heard someone from behind call my name. I looked to see no one but Christopher. I smiled at him. He walked over carrying a little girl in his arms.

"This is my daughter is was telling you about. Her name's Royalty." I waved at her and she dug her head into his neck and I laughed.

"Well, that's my daughter, Brooklyn. She just fell asleep so we're about to head home." I smiled. He nodded and offered to carry my bag with the sunblock and other beach essentials in it. I didn't want him to, but he wouldn't take no for an answer. He carried it in his free hand. I put Brooklyn back on the beach chairs and folded the blanket so I could put it in the bag. Once everything was put together to where I could take it all at once and leave, we walked to the car.

"You like it here in Miami?" I asked him.

"Yeah, I mean, it's cool, you know? Like it feels great, so, yeah." he responded. Once we approached my car, I unlocked it and packed my stuff into the trunk after putting Brooklyn in her seat. It is really hot out so I started the car to get the air to start circulating. Chris helped me stack everything properly so that nothing would fall over or break.

"See you next week?" he questioned.

I smiled and nodded looking down a little. "Yeah."