Chapter 55: I have lost myself

Clove's POV

* * * * * * * *

6 April 3114

* * * * * * * *

Nine chemo sessions later, I feel dead.

My nails are now brittle and my skin is dull. My hair needs to be washed every day because it gets so greasy. No one seems to notice that though.

My mood is putrid. I'm snapping at everyone and everything. Life is far from easy.

I wake up every morning to vomit. I can bearly eat throughout the day, so I'm just getting weaker and weaker. And anything that I do eat, I throw it up the next morning. Unintentionally. of course.

No one seems to notice that much of a difference, so I'm lucky there. But Rosalie and Clarisse have been on my back non-stop.

They check up on me every day, they take shifts. They blackmail and verbally abuse me so I'll tell Cato. I tried to explain to them that I'm not telling him, to protect him.

I know that he couldn't cope. So I simply won't tell him.

I've heard no more from Taylor, which is a huge bonus. But I've been helping Cato do simple things as he's still a little stiff after the shooting, and when I'm in his presence, I felt guilty,  as if I cheated on him with Taylor.

I know I haven't though.

The KAP have been reasonably invisible to the naked eye. That was until last Tuesday. They shot down a whole family who was in-laws with Calipurnia.

I went to the funeral and dragged Cato with me. It was held in some field to hide from the KAP.

Since that day, bearly anyone has been seen throughout the district. I'm unsure of why they don't just come to the Victors Village and open shoot.

That's what they want, right?

Clarisse has just left as I'm going out with Chase. I haven't seen in her in a while now. I was really excited to see her, as we we're heading down to the meadow and the stream and forest.

It's been forever since I was there.

"Where are you going?" Izabelle asks me curiously. I roll my eyes. "You're not seeing Cato in those are you?"

I was wearing blue leggings and a grey zip up hoodie. With my navy chucks. All my jewellery was on and my wavy hair was tied up in a long ponytail.

"No, I'm going to visit Chase-" I lie again. She warned me to not stay outside. "And what do you mean are you wearing those to Cato's?"

"Well, you always dress beautifully when you go to his house..."

"Hush Izabelle!" I scold her. "I'm going, don't wait up on me!"

"Clove!" she calls but I shut the front door. I pull up my hood and hop over the wall and run down the long side of the Village. I run down a few alleys until I reach the forest.

I'm home!

* * * * * * * * * *

It took a while to find Chase, it took a while to remember how to get to the meadow through the forest. But I got there.

The meadow was full of daisies and buttercups. There was often montbretias, daffodils, tulips, primroses and forget-me-nots.

They sky was blue and not a cloud to be seen. It was only this part of the district that never had a cloud in sight.

There is one tree, a huge oak tree at that. There's a tyre swing hanging off it that Maysilee, Chase and I made when we were about ten, I remember that day Roni went to Izabelle's house.