The Kitten Prince Of Slytherin

Credit: LiveJournal- thenerd1026
_____________________

Pansy Parkinson looked breathtaking. For the first time since returning to Hogwarts for their eighth year, Draco saw the twinkle back in his friend's eyes. Even under the guise of her animagus form, it was hard to mistake the creature as anyone else.

Although her feathers were the purest white-glistening in the early morning sunlight-her eyes were still the same colour. Even her slightly upturned beak resembled her human nose.

"A beautiful swan," Draco drawled, making sure to keep the bitterness out of his voice. "Of course."

That bitch.

"Don't sound so jealous," Blaise intoned from Draco's right. "Your turn will come soon enough."

"That's easy for you to say," the blond huffed and turned his grey gaze on the man standing next to him. Blaise Zabini, with his darker good looks, soothing voice, and natural charm had acclimated to life back at Hogwarts easily. He was the only one of Draco's inner circle accepted among the other students, especially among the Eighth Years. Just yesterday, Draco had witnessed as he laughed with Potter over a game of Exploding Snap.

If anyone accused Draco of being jealous, he'd rip their hair out.

The smirk that Blaise shot Draco's way was nothing, if not condescending. "Your time will come, young Padawan."

"Sod off, Blaise," Draco growled. "You only know what a 'Paddywon' is because of all the time you've been spending with Finnegan. Don't think I didn't notice the looks you give him," the blond's scowl deepened, "and his arse."

"Touchy, touchy," Blaise teased, closing the distance between the two and slinging his arm around Draco's shoulders. "You're deflecting," he whispered conspiratorially. "Your lessons with Granger are going well, Dray."

And wasn't that just the perfect kick in the teeth? Not only were Blaise and Pansy Animagi, but the Golden Trio was too. Even Potter had mastered it! Potter may have been the greatest hero of their generation, but he was an idiot.

"You're just overthinking it," Blaise advised. "You have to clear your mind the first time."

"Maybe that's why Potter can do it," Draco suggested, a grin playing at the corners of his lips. "He doesn't have brains to begin with."

No sooner had the blond finished his sentence, then a dark look settled in Blaise's eyes. He had been very sensitive about the Golden Boy since they had become friendly.

"You and I both know it's dangerous to speak about Harry like that," Blaise's said tetchily. "After everything he's done for our world-for you-he deserves a break. Merlin's frilly knickers, Harry even convinced Granger to help us."

Ignoring the fact that his best friend had just referred to Potter as Harry, and deciding it was too early in the morning to argue-Draco hadn't even had his morning tea-he shook his head and chewed on the corner of his bottom lip. He absolutely did not feel any sort of guilt or appreciation for the speccy git. He didn't. "I still don't know why he did," Draco whispered, unable to meet his friend's knowing gaze. Instead he focused on Pansy, the white swan was checking out every angle of her animal form in the lake's reflection.

For the briefest second, Draco secretly hoped the giant squid would pull the swan in the water.

How had everyone mastered this, but him?

"No, you wouldn't understand," Blaise said, breaking the silence. "For someone as smart as you, you can be a bit daft." With that, Blaise left Draco alone and joined Pansy, laughing as she wiggled her tail feathers.