Chapter Twenty-Three

Lizzy froze in shock. She was not expecting the question at all. Her heart, without her knowing, had made her decision for her.

“Yes!” Lizzy cried and Eddy stood and hugged her before placing a ring on Lizzy’s fingers. They kissed each other until someone interrupted them. “Has something happened?” Louis asked. Eddy turned his face to look at Louis.

“I will allow you to say it just this once.” Eddy said. Louis smirked.

“I will relish the moment.” Eddy returned his grin. “I told you so.”

“You told Eddy what so?” Lizzy asked.          

“Never you mind.” Louis replied. Lizzy looked from male to male with raised eyebrows.

“If you are sure.” She said. The boys smiled.

There were footsteps behind Louis. All three turned to see who it was. It was Thomas.

“Anne is giving birth!” Thomas cried. Lizzy pushed herself from Eddy and hurried inside.

“Where is she?” Lizzy asked.

“In our room.” Thomas replied. Lizzy nodded and ran off.

“What were you all doing out here?” Thomas asked Louis and Eddy as they followed in Lizzy’s footsteps.

“We shall explain later.” Louis said.

~*~

Two hours later, Anne was smiling, holding a small bundle in her arms. Lizzy opened the door to find Thomas, Eddy and Louis waiting outside.

“She has had a little boy.” Lizzy smiled. Thomas entered the room to meet his son. A frown crossed Lizzy’s face. “Louis, what are you doing here? I thought you had gone.”

“No, I told my parents that I would not live with them after what they tried to do. I stayed in the room and my parents were already in the carriage by the time you came out to wave them goodbye. You thought I was with them.”

“We did, are you staying here?” Lizzy asked.

“For as long as I am able to. I may have to return to the castle.” Louis said.

“Come on, we must leave the proud parents alone.” Lizzy said, shutting the door fully and tugging both of them by the sleeve to follow her.

“When are you planning on telling your father?” Louis asked Eddy.

“When I feel it is the right time, which, is not now.” Eddy said.

“He will find out somehow, if he does not see the ring he will hear rumours, I am sure the servants have seen or heard already.” Louis said.

“I know, I know. I will tell him in the morning.”

“Tell who what?” Lizzy asked, coming to join the boys at the table.

“About you two being engaged to Henry.” Louis answered.

“What is this about someone getting engaged?” The three heads turned to find Henry in the doorway. He was holding a letter in his hands; a tired look fell across his face. Louis glanced at Eddy and nudged him. Eddy took Lizzy’s hand.

“Father, I have something to tell you.”

“What is it? Why is Louis still here? What is going on?”

“Lizzy and I are engaged. We are getting married.” Eddy said. Henry dropped the piece of paper and it fell at Lizzy’s feet. She picked it up and as she passed it back to Henry she caught a glance of the word ‘war’.