Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

Louis shuffled forwards, not really caring where he was going. He didn’t especially want to go looking for his brother; he was only doing this because of Lizzy. It wasn’t that he didn’t like his brother; it was just that he was annoyed with Eddy. Eddy got everything he asked for and if there was something he didn’t like he would do something to get rid of it and get away with it.

Louis didn’t seem to notice the shadows that crept towards him, closing in on him. By the time he realised, he was being pushed to the ground by a growling, biting animal. A pink tongue began licking his nose and Louis pushed the animal off. “Shadow?” Louis asked. The greyhound shook itself and wagged its tail, tongue lolling out of its mouth. Shadow barked once and Louis smiled. At least he wouldn’t be alone now; he had some company at least.

Louis wondered whether Lizzy had found Eddy or not or whether she had returned back to camp. Maybe Eddy just wouldn’t turn up at all and they would be able to live in peace. Shadow’s barking interrupted his little daydream. He shook his head to be rid of it and concentrated on Shadow.

The greyhound was sniffing the air and the ground, Shadow then barked again and sped off through the undergrowth. Louis hurried to catch up with her. He was struggling to keep her in sight. Shadow had long, powerful legs that helped her move faster, Louis, on the other hand, had shorter legs and he wasn’t used to running as far or as fast as he was.

Eventually Shadow skidded to a halt and Louis almost tripped over her. On the floor in front of them was Eddy, fast asleep. Louis knelt beside him, wondering how to wake him up without getting himself killed as Eddy had his sword gripped in his hands, ready to use.

Shadow crept closer and gently licked Eddy’s cheek and jumped back as Eddy sat straight up and brandished his sword. “Who is there?” he demanded.

“It is me and your faithful greyhound, brother.” Louis replied walking closer. Relief flooded into Eddy’s face before panic filled it again.

“Where is Lizzy?”

“Lizzy,” Louis pulled Eddy to his feet with a grunt. “Is perfectly fine. She went to look for you but I found you instead. If you ask Shadow nicely she might lead you to her.” Eddy, feeling stupid, turned to his dog.

“Shadow, do you know where Lizzy is?” he asked. Shadow barked and licked his hand before running off. Eddy and Louis glanced at each other before taking off after her.

They were running for what seemed an age but were in fact, only ten minutes. Louis was sweating and leaning against a tree, trying to catch his breath. Eddy was also trying to regain his breath but he was stood straight, alert, trying to find out where Shadow could have possibly gone and where they were.

Branches rustled and parted slightly and out stepped a little girl. She looked about six or seven years old. Eddy and Louis looked at each other. “Are you lost?” Louis asked, panting slightly, still out of breath from running.

“You could say that, yes. But no, I came to find you, Louis. And you, Edward.” The girl replied. Her small frame seemed to be towered over by the trees that surrounded her. Her blonde hair was so pale that it was almost silver and her purple eyes shone through the darkness. Purple? Louis wondered.

“Elizabeth-Jane is waiting for you.” The girl said.

“Lizzy?” Eddy stared past the girl but couldn’t see a thing.

“Yes, Elizabeth-Jane is with me. You may come with me and you will see her. Do not worry; I will not hurt you unlike so many people in the world.”