Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

“Matilda?” Edward was surprised. Neither he nor Lizzy had been expecting her to come back for ages.

“The one and only.” Matilda beamed at them. “Have any of you seen Anne?”

“No, I do not know where she is, sorry.”Lizzy said.

“That is all right. Edward, I would get out of here as fast as possible. Mother is on her way to speak to Lizzy.” Matilda and Edward left the room. Luckily only two minutes before the door opened again and Catherine entered. She joined Lizzy by the window.

“Elle, I have to speak to you about something.” Catherine stated. Lizzy nodded. “As you know, Anne is getting married. Soon there will be children and there will be no room. I understand now that you are now sixteen and capable of living by yourself.” Lizzy nodded again. “So we have come to the decision to let you leave. You can go find your family and live with them, I believe you have sufficient enough memory to know who they are, or you can go and live by yourself.” Lizzy nodded again. “You do not seem shocked by this news, Elle.”

“I know; I knew one day that I would have to leave here.” Lizzy said. “I accepted it as soon as I woke up.”

“You are a good girl, Elle, your parents will be glad to have you back.”

“When will I have to leave?”

“You have three weeks. At the end of the three weeks you must have left.” Catherine left the room afterwards and Lizzy sighed.

She knew it would happen, she had been telling the truth. She didn’t want to leave, though. She didn’t want to leave here at all. She was happy here; she had friends who were like family. She had Eddy, too.

Matilda had found Anne in the library. “I finally get to meet you!” Matilda said, giving Anne a hug.

“It is nice to meet you to.” Anne said.

“So, when are-”

“Next week.” Anne replied.

“I think I can stay that long.” Matilda said. “I hope I can.”

~*~

The next week passed quickly. Things seemed to go back to before Matilda left apart from the fact that Anne was still there. Anne and Matilda always seemed to be together which surprised Eddy and Louis who were sure that Matilda would hate Anne. Lizzy wasn’t too bothered and she had a feeling that Anne had something to do with Matilda’s visit. Catherine and Charles were delighted that their daughter was getting along with her soon to be sister-in-law.

“I hoped that they would take to each other! I am so glad that they have!” Catherine said to her husband one evening. “Matilda has not even batted an eyelid at Elizabeth-Jane. Being away is doing some good.”

“Have you ever considered that Matilda may be acting?” Charles said.

“Always the pessimist! Do not worry yourself.”

“If things go wrong I shall say that it is your fault.” Charles warned.

“It will not go wrong. You shall see!”

Whether Catherine would be right or wrong or how right or wrong she would be, Charles had no idea. He decided to let the matter drop and just go with whatever his wife said. When it came to family problems he always left it to her to sort out. She was the better at making things better.

“I think Anne is up to something.” Eddy said to Louis as they fenced.

“How do you know, though?”