Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

As soon as they bought the clothes for Louis and Eddy, they set off. William saw them and gave them a few coins to add to their collection.

Only when they were a little way away from the village did they speak. “Where will we go?” Eddy asked.

“How about the nearest town?” Lizzy suggested.

“The nearest town is in between the castle and the palace.” Louis said. “We could go there but people will recognise Eddy and me and there will be questions asked.”

“Does it really matter? By the time we get there you may have changed and maybe no one will know you.” Lizzy said.

“She has a point. If we stop every night and do not walk so fast during the day then we may have changed a little by the time we reach the town.” Eddy said.

“I suppose so, and the town is much bigger than the village, there may be people who do not know who we are.” Louis sighed.

“If there is we can stay there and we must hope for the best.” Eddy said.

“Exactly, we must stay optimistic about things. Does it really matter if you are recognised? It is not like they will see your parents to tell them.”

“She has another good point.” Eddy said.

“You are only agreeing with her because you like her.” Louis snapped. Eddy didn’t reply. “Told you so, you did not deny it.”

“Nor did I say that I did.” Eddy snapped back.

“There is one rule that I would like to set.” Lizzy cut in. “And that would be that you two must get along. If you are going to fight each other then one of you will have to walk by himself until they are ready to be friends again.”

“I agree with that.” Louis said, nodding at Eddy who nodded.

“So do I. Let us hope that we do not fall out, brother.”

“Let us hope.”

~*~

Lizzy went hunting and brought back a bird that they cooked on a fire and ate when evening arrived. Louis went off to check their things and check the canopy he and Eddy had bought.

“I have been thinking.” Lizzy began.

“You seem to think a lot.” Eddy said, flashing a smile at Lizzy.

“I have been thinking about Charles and Catherine. They have lost most of their money and they do not like me or if they do they do not accept me.”

“What are you getting at?”

“What if we raised one hundred pounds and gave it to them and then maybe they will accept me because I gave them some of their money that they lost.”

“Money does not change anything unless it saves lives.” Eddy reminded her.

“Yes, I know that, but your parents adore their money so they should be glad that they get it back, should they not?”

“I suppose that they would accept the money but that does not mean that they will accept you at all.”

“But if they did then I would be able to stay, would I not?”

“Yes, I would think you would be allowed to stay. But then if I go back then I will be forced to marry someone I do not know or do not like.”

“But what if you had found someone who already loves you and then your parents would let you marry her?”