Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

They had camped on the ground that night. It had been cold and they had no clothes to wrap around them; they had no fire to warm themselves or give them light, so they huddled together.

Lizzy had washed their faces of mud and leaves before curling up between them and resting her head on Eddy’s shoulder. She wanted to cry but she knew she must be brave. There would be time to cry later on when she was alone for a while.

“What are we going to do now?” Louis asked.

“Sit here till morning.” Eddy replied.

“It is too cold to just sit here!” Louis complained.

“Go run about and get us found out then!” Eddy argued back.

“He will be fine so long as no one sees him. Who is going to be looking around in the woods at this time of night?” Lizzy said.

“You would be surprised. We have already been missing a day already; I am surprised they have not found us.”

“Maybe they did not think we would hide here but get as far away as possible and then return.” Louis suggested.

“But they know you wanted to find me.” Lizzy pointed out.

“Maybe they are biding their time or they are too preoccupied.”Louis said.

“Maybe, they just do not care about us at all.” Eddy snapped.

“Calm down! I was only saying! It probably is the most likely though. They never really did care for both of us, did they?”

“They cared about you, not me.” Eddy replied.

“No, they liked you better.” Louis retorted.

“They loved both of you the same!” Lizzy cried, silencing the two boys. “Now can I please get some sleep?” Eddy nodded and Lizzy got herself more comfortable, her head still resting on Eddy’s chest.

“Keep watch first, Louis.” Eddy said before closing his eyes as well.

~*~

William returned once more the house before it was to be emptied. He had agreed to put everything that was in there into one of the spare stables he had until Lizzy decided to come and pick them up or sell them. He had collected up all of the money he could find anywhere in the house before other people took it.

The bodies of Mary and George had been taken to the monastery to be sorted out there. The village had said that they must be buried together and away from anywhere else so if Lizzy came back she could always come to see them without being interrupted.

William buried the note with them; it was rolled up between the entwined hands, safe from prying hands. He wished that bad things would stop happening to Lizzy and that she would find some happiness somewhere.

~*~

The next morning they rose early and found themselves stiff from lying on the floor all night. Louis had decided to fall asleep in a tree and now his back was hurting. “Maybe I should go back to the village, just to see.” Lizzy said.

“If you want to go to the village you go to the village.”

“I would like to go alone, though. That means no following me. I am quite capable of looking after myself.” Eddy and Louis nodded. “You could try and build some shelter for us all while you are waiting. I do not know how long I will be.” Eddy and Louis nodded again.

Lizzy set off soon after and reached the village in no time. It was very quiet where she was but she knew it would be busier nearer towards the town square. As she neared it people who were out stared at her.