Chapter Three

Chapter Three

The next few days passed quickly. Each day, Eddy hoped that the girl would wake up. But she never did. He was outside in the courtyard, fencing with Louis when Matilda called from the doorway that the girl had woken. Both Louis and Eddy sprinted inside and Matilda met them outside the girl’s door. Before they could enter Matilda forced them to wash their faces and change their clothes. They did this as quick as they possibly could as they were both eager to see what had happened to the girl.

Matilda inspected them and with her approval she let them in. Their mother, Catherine, had sat the girl up and was re-dressing the cloth on her head. Matilda pushed past the boys and went to help her mother. At the sight of the boys, the girl seemed to shrink.

“It is all right, dear, they will not hurt you. They just want to see if you are fine.” Catherine reassured the girl. When she had completed her task she motioned for the boys to come forward and they did so. “Now, dear, can you remember anything?” Catherine asked soothingly.

“I-I don’t remember anything.” The girl whispered, her brow creased. “At least, I don’t think I do. Where am I? Who are you all? Who am I?” the questions poured out of her mouth.

“You are at the Hutchinson Castle.” Catherine began answering the girl’s questions, one by one. “My name is Catherine, my husband is Charles, you have yet to meet him, and the other girl is my eldest child, Matilda. Beside her are Louis, he’s the younger one, and Edward. I do not know who you are.”

“We found you in the woods, you had fallen, and you hit your head on something. You have been unconscious for a few days now.” Eddy said softly. The girl fixed her eyes on him as he spoke. “Can you not remember anything?”

“I cannot remember anything at all...” the girl trailed off. “Although...I believe I remember my name...”

“Can you tell us what it is?” Catherine asked quietly.

“I think it is Elizabeth-Jane...” the girl said. “Although some people called me Lizzy...”

“Do you know who those people were?” Matilda asked. Lizzy thought for a moment then slowly shook her head, wincing at the pain.

“Don’t move your head.” Catherine said.

“I do not know who they were. All I can remember is my name. I am sorry to disappoint you.” Lizzy said.

“It is fine, Elizabeth-Jane.” Catherine said.

“Please, call me Lizzy.”

“Lizzy does not sound right to me, we shall call you Elle or Liz but not Lizzy.” Catherine said. “Now, Matilda, I need you to help me with something. I believe your father wants to see you, Louis.” The three of them bustled out of the room. Eddy was left by himself with Lizzy.

“I’ll call you Lizzy if you want.” He offered.

“Please; it makes me feel safe somehow.”

“Lizzy it is then.” Edward said, smiling. Lizzy returned the smile and rested her head back on the pillows. “If you remember anything else, will you let me know?” Eddy asked, just as he was about to leave.

“Of course.” Lizzy said and closed her eyes. Eddy left her to rest.

~*~

The next three days passed as quickly as before Lizzy woke up. In those days she had grown strong enough to stand and was ordered by the castle doctor to get a lot of air. He believed that wherever she had come from had had bad air and good air like they had would help her.