Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Matilda’s wedding weekend was hectic. Guests were arriving since early morning and Catherine had no idea where they would all stay. Although their castle was big, it had not many bedrooms and all they had were being used.

Charles solved part of the problem by taking the men hunting. Catherine decided to get Louis to entertain the women in one of the larger rooms in the castle. Lizzy was with Matilda, talking to her, calming her down for Matilda was really nervous.

Eddy was in his room, all ready for the wedding but not wanting to move at all from his seat on the bed. The maids and butlers were busy preparing the food and the stable boys were sorting out all the horses that came with the carriages that came with the guests.

Everyone was busy doing something. At midday everyone assembled in the banqueting hall and the party began.

~*~

It was very late, or should I say: very early before the guests went home. Matilda had gone to bed long before, ready to wake up early the next morning for her wedding. Only immediate family was going which excluded Lizzy. Matilda went to see her before they left.

“I shall write to you as much as I can. I would love to hear about your life and if your memory comes back I will be so pleased. I will come and visit as soon as I possibly can.” The two girls hugged. Matilda was at the door after being shouted down by her father. “You are like a sister to me.” she said and left the room. Lizzy smiled at the closing door.

She watched the carriages disappear through the window. She already missed the people going. They would be gone for a few days and would not be returning till late anyway. There was one good thing about being alone...Lizzy could do as she pleased.

During her stay at the castle, Lizzy had made friends with one of Eddy’s closest friends: Thomas. Thomas was one of the guards that guarded the castle. Lizzy now went to see him. Thomas hugged her as usual. “Would you like to do anything today, miss? Walking or riding?”

“I cannot ride.” Lizzy stated.

“I shall have to teach you then, but not today.” Thomas said.

“May you teach me how to fight with a sword?” Lizzy asked. Thomas looked shocked before raising his eyebrows.

“Shouldn’t you be sewing or doing something girls do?” Thomas asked.

“Please, Thomas, please! They aren’t here to tell me off and I would love to know how to use a sword. You never know if I may need it or not.” Lizzy begged.

“Fine, all right.” Thomas gave in. He fetched two swords and began to teach Lizzy how to fence.

For lunch, the maids brought out food for them to eat outside. Lizzy and Thomas talked about the Hutchinson’s. Thomas disliked Catherine and Charles. He thought that there was something about them that didn’t quite make sense. Lizzy partially agreed. They then talked about how well Eddy and Louis fenced and Lizzy said she wanted to be as good as them. Thomas shook his head.

“I had a brother.” Lizzy randomly said. She had no idea herself where it had come from.

“You had?” Thomas said.

“Yes, I think...I think he...died.” Lizzy mumbled, then realisation dawned on her and a tear escaped her eye. “That must be who was under the cloth...oh my...those people...” Thomas couldn’t make sense of what was happening or of what Lizzy was talking about. He called for one of the maids who did know what had been going on with Lizzy and the maid fetched a piece of parchment and a quill and ink.