Chapter Six

Chapter Six

“Edward, darling! Can you bring everyone to the living room?” Catherine called her son. By everyone, Edward thought she meant Lizzy too. Whether she did or not, she didn’t stop Lizzy from entering the library.

Edward noticed at once that his father was not there. They all took a seat, Lizzy on the floor, her back resting against Eddy’s chair. When they were settled the door opened again and Charles walked in, followed by a girl. “This,” Charles said, waving a hand at the girl. “Is Anne.” The girl, Anne, smiled and curtsied slightly. They took the two remaining chairs in the room.

“Why is Anne here?” Louis asked. Edward was glad that Louis had asked that question and not himself.

“We have a special announcement to make!” Catherine cried, beaming at us all.

“Especially for you, Edward!” Charles added. Louis, Edward and Lizzy all wondered why they were getting so excited.

“This, Edward, is your bride-to-be!” Catherine announced. “It is all arranged!” Eddy took one glance at Lizzy who had stood up from the floor. She ran to the door and disappeared out of the room. Edward got up to follow but his mother pushed him back into his seat.

“Let her go, let her run.” Catherine said.

Alone in her room, Lizzy let the tears fall. She knew there had been something not right about Catherine from the day she woke. She had probably been planning this all along. But, it wasn’t as if she actually felt something more than friendship towards any of the boys here. So, why was she crying? Lizzy couldn’t answer that herself.

She did not know how much later it was but she felt arms wrap around her. “Stop crying, Lizzy.” Lizzy relaxed as soon as she realised who it was. She gulped back the rest of her tears and wiped the ones threatening to fall from her eyes. She turned to face Eddy.

“Why are you crying?” he asked.

“No reason.” Lizzy replied.

“There must be.”

“Maybe there is, maybe there is not.”

“You can tell me, you know.” Eddy said.

“I think I shall keep this reason to myself.” Lizzy said.

“I did not think my mother would do that.”

“It is fine; I knew she was planning something. Anyway, I am happy for you, you are like a brother to me.” Lizzy said.

“A brother?” Eddy asked, he sounded a little disappointed.

“Yes, a brother.” Lizzy replied. Eddy sighed and hugged Lizzy. Lizzy closed her eyes. Eddy lifted her head with his fingers and leant forward. He gently let his lips meet hers. She gasped and stumbled backwards.

“Edward!” she hissed.

“I am sorry, Lizzy!” Eddy apologised. His expression was one of regret and sadness.

“I am sorry; I was not expecting it to happen. Will you be in trouble?”

“Not if no one knows.” Eddy said, he tapped the side of his nose and left the room.

~*~

Edward recognised Anne as the girl he had danced with from his party. He didn’t know how he knew she was the same one; he hadn’t really been focused that night. She was staying the rest of the week, according to his parents.

It was now supper and Eddy was bracing himself for it. He opened the door to find everyone else sat down. There was no Lizzy at the table. Instead, in her place, was Anne. She smiled at him but it was forced-Eddy could see that. His parents thought that it was real. That was good, in a way. He knew that Anne didn’t really like him. Not as his parents wanted her to at any rate.