Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

“Eddy, can I talk to you please?” Lizzy asked after opening the door into the library.

“Of course.” Eddy said, getting out of his seat and following her out into the hallway. Thomas watched the door close from inside the room Edward had just left. “What is troubling you?”

“Have you spoken to your father recently?” she asked.

“No, not since I last spoke to him a few days ago.” It was the morning after Lizzy had admitted her feelings to Anne. “Is there something I should talk to him about?”

“No, I was just wondering. That is all. What I came here to ask, apart from that, was if you wanted to walk with me later on?”

“I should be delighted, Lizzy.” Eddy said. “I will join you after dinner.” Lizzy nodded and walked away. Eddy shook his head. Lizzy was acting strange recently. He didn’t know why.

~*~

Darkness was falling by the time Edward and Elizabeth-Jane found their way outside. Lizzy had wrapped a cloak around her to keep in the warmth and Eddy had done the same.

“Is there a reason for this walk?” Edward asked.

“Does there have to be?” Lizzy replied.

“No, there does not but I know there is something on your mind. Would you care to share what you are thinking?”

“I have to confess something to you.” Lizzy said, not sure how to continue.

“I am intrigued. Please continue.”

“You know how you said that you loved me?” Lizzy said. They had stopped walking and were now facing each other.

“Yes, I remember well.”

“What would you do if I said I felt the same way?” Lizzy said, not knowing if she had said the right thing or not.

“I would do this.” Eddy said and brought her closer to him and kissed her.

~*~

“Edward! I would like to talk to you.” Henry said as Edward was about to retire for bed. He had left Lizzy at her own bedroom door after they had finished their walked.

“Of course, father.” Eddy said and followed his father to his father’s study. They took a seat each and Henry settled down.

“I wanted to talk to you about Lizzy.”

“What about her, father?”

“Well, it is more about you and her to be honest.”

“What about us?”

“Did you know she has feelings for you of more than friendship?”

“Yes, father, she just told me.”

“What are you going to do about it?”

“What should I do about it?”

“Have you not thought about your future?”

“Of course I have, father, it is just...”

“Just what?”

“Nothing, father, nothing...”

~*~

The next few days passed along quickly enough. The air had gotten colder and crisper and the leaves were beginning to shred and disappear. It was getting into the winter season now and Eddy had worries that his plans may be ruined by the fact of the cold weather and that it possibly would snow soon.

His and Lizzy’s relationship had grown immensely and they were happy together which made his father happy indeed. Lizzy had started to walk with a spring in her step now as she took over most of Anne’s work with Anne unable to do it herself.

Anne helped out as much as possible with the few things she could do but it was starting to become impossible with her being pregnant. Lizzy didn’t mind, she enjoyed the distractions from her thoughts and people. Anne kept up a constant chatter whenever she followed Lizzy around. Most of the time it was all about the baby, what they were going to call it and what was going to happen next after they had had the baby. Lizzy usually stopped listening most of the time for she had heard it all but there were the times when she paid attention and listened to what Anne said.

Louis had still not returned and Eddy feared he would not see his brother again. Although they did not share the same parents, Eddy still saw him as his brother and did not care what anyone thought of it. He did not care if Louis did not want anything to do with him so long as they would still be able to talk to each other and get along.

His father could sense his worry but could not get Eddy to talk about it at all. He had tried asking Lizzy if she knew what he was worried about for Eddy had not voiced his worries to anyone, but Lizzy did not know at all and had said so to Henry. She said that she was sorry but she didn’t know absolutely everything that was going on in Eddy’s mind.

Eddy was now out on his horse and he was searching the woods, trying to find the place where Ivy had lived. But try as he might, he could not find exactly where it was. Maybe Ivy was keeping her place hidden so he was not able to find it. He hated to think that and told himself that it was just the fact that he could not remember where it had been, Shadow had been the one to lead them there, it was impossible for him to remember exactly.

He turned the horse around numerous times in the place he thought that it had been. He had attempted to retrace his steps but you could never be certain unless you had an excellent memory. After a few more goes he turned the horse back towards the palace and as he left, he swore that he saw a twitch in the bushes but when he looked again, it was as though nothing had happened at all.

Eddy shrugged and made his way back as slowly as he could. He didn’t want more people asking what the matter with him was. No one would understand at all, no one, except possibly Lizzy but then she might tell Anne and then Anne may tell his father and then everyone would know and he didn’t want that. But what if Lizzy didn’t tell? I mean, he was meant to trust her. He would ask her later if she could keep a secret. He knew she would say yes anyway, no matter what but if he found out anyone else knew then he would get angry.

He found her coming out of the library with Anne. As soon as Anne saw him she whispered something in Lizzy’s ear and hurried away. Lizzy obviously hadn’t seen him as she jumped slightly when she saw him standing there. “Lizzy, can I talk with you?”

“Of course,” Lizzy replied, turning the door handle of the door on the library and entering the room. “What is wrong?”

“I need to talk to you.” Eddy said. Lizzy shut the door.

“I know, Eddy, you just said.”

“I-I-Can you keep a secret?”

“Are you about to tell me what has been worrying you these past few days?”

“Yes, but can you keep a secret?”

“Yes.”

“You promise not to tell a soul?”

“Is that not what a secret is?”

“I miss Louis.”

“Oh Eddy!” Lizzy let out a little giggle. “Is that all you are worried about? We all miss Eddy.”

“I do not just miss him. I worry that I will never see him again, that Ivy will keep Louis forever and I will never see my brother again.”

“Eddy!” Lizzy was now laughing. “Eddy, you will see Louis! You will see him again!”

“How do you know, Lizzy? How do you know?”

“Did you not know?”

“Know what? I have only just come in.”

“Louis is back! He returned whilst you were out. I was sure that is what you were coming to talk to me about. I thought you had heard the whispers from the servants.”

“I was not really listening; I was more intent on coming to talk to you.”

“Come along, Louis wants to see you.”