Chapter 12; Keep you safe

I was laying on the couch, my back propped up by a pillow with my legs laying across Ryder's lap. I was reading a book while Ryder was writing something on his laptop that was on top my legs. Our eyes kept flickering up to each other and everytime they met, I would flush and smile shyly while Ryder grins his boyish grin that I knew he reserved only for me.

"What are you reading?" He asks out of random, pausing from typing to look up at me. I smiled, "Pride & Prejudice," I answered. I had my hoodie hood pulled up over my face in a attempt to hide my bruised face.

His eyes linger on the bit of the bruise that was peeking out from underneath my hood before traveling down to my lips and back to my blue eyes.

"Can you put make up on if we go out later?" Ryder requests wearily. I frown, sitting my book down in my lap, "Why? I thought you didn't like me wearing make up?" He sighs, reaching a hand out to brush his fingers across my bruised cheek lightly, "I don't like it but I don't like seeing you all bruised up even more. I hate seeing you hurt, princess," he growls.

At his words, I blushed, "Of course than," I mumble. He rubs my still slightly bruised ankle a little before going back to typing. "You're still beautiful to me, Keeva," he murmurs at the sight of me biting down hard on my lip. I blushed again, "I'm all bruised up. I'm the farthest thing from pretty, nevertheless, beautiful," I whisper to myself.

Unfortunately, Ryder had heard, his golden eyes snapping to mine instantly, "Keeva Rose, don't ever think or speak of yourself like that, do you understand?" He says harshly and quietly. Wide-eyed, I simply nodded and watch as his eyes go back to the laptop screen in front of him.

Carlisle came in than with Blake and Ayato behind him. He nods at us as he passes us to the kitchen. Ayato and Blake plop down on the chairs, "Hey." Ayato nods at us at well. I smile at them but Ryder ignores them, sending me a gentle smile to tell me he wasn't mad.

"So, Keeva, what happened?" Carlisle asks when he came back in the room. "What caused your panic attack." I bit my lip while Ryder squeezes my hand encouragingly. Sighing, I tell them what happened.

When I was done with my story, they all looked shocked, staring at me with gapping mouths. Ryder was still typing away on his laptop but he was typing with one hand, the other rubbing my thigh in attempt to calm me down and show his support. I was trembling a bit with my hands curled into fists in my lap. Golden eyes kept flickering to me to make sure I was okay.

"I'm okay, Ryder," I assure the alert brunette. He nods, not taking his hand off my thigh. At the feeling of heat radiating from his large palm, I shiver and flush when his eyes flicker to me in question.

"Don't worry about anything, it'll all be taken care of," Carlisle assures me weakly. I sigh and pick up Ryder's hand. His eyes soften as they look up at me. Ryder sets his laptop to the side and pushes my legs off his lap as he stands up. "Come on," he murmurs. Frowning, I follow him, "Where are we going?" I questioned.

He glances over his shoulder at me, "Our place."

*****

Ryder had taken me to the back gardens. He was perched on top of a ledge while I sat on the edge of the fountain as usual. "Why'd you bring me here?" I ask, my fingers tracing patterns in the water as I stare down into it.

Ryder was carving something into the stone with his decent-sized pocket knife. "Because I could tell you were upset and needed to clear your head," he answers, not looking at me as I wasn't looking at him.

We were in our own little worlds while in a world we shared at the same time.

I smiled, still looking down at the glimmering water. The moonlight reflected off it giving it a beautiful glow. The garden was led up by lights strung along the walls and gates.

"Keeva, look at me," Ryder orders. I lift my head and look over, "I know you've run into quite some trouble here but I promise you that I'm trying my best to keep you safe." His golden eyes pierce into mine, and I felt myself drowning in them.

He drops off the ledge and comes to sit beside me, cupping my face in his hands. "I would do anything to keep you safe, princess," he whispers, his and sliding down my neck before holding the back of my head firmly. His other hand going to the other side of my head.

My breath hitches as he pulls me closer, tilting my head up and lowering his own. I could feel his breath on my lips, his fingers tangling into my hair where his hands rested. His nose brushes mine as my eyes flutter close and finally, his lips crash onto my own in searing, passionate, and slow kiss.

My hands find a resting place on his chest and I clench my hands around his leather jacket once again. I was drowning in the emotion he poured into the kiss, my heart throbbing in my chest.

"Keeva.." he whispers huskily against my lips, pressing more against me. I'm pushed back gently until my back was resting on the edge of the fountain with Ryder hovering over me.

Almost too soon, Ryder pulls away, leaving us both breathing hard. My eyes flutter open and I blush at seeing his desired-filled eyes. "I need you in my life, Keeva," he murmurs, almost pleadingly. I let out a soft gasp when he kisses me again.

And in that moment, I realized that I needed him in my life. Ryder has changed me, my life. He's became the anchor I never had but I always wanted, needed. He's protected me when no one did. Ryder has became my home, my shelter from the storm.

My thoughts are interrupted when my back slid off the fountain edge and the next thing I know, we're both in the fountain. We, both, break away laughing. Ryder's golden eyes shine in the dark as we both sat in the fountain, dripping wet.

In that instant, our eyes met and he's suddenly kissing me again and I'm kissing right back.