Chapter 5; Don't be scared

Chapter 5: Don't Be Scared (edited)

When Ryder finally pulls up to our dorm house, my face was hidden in the back of his leather jacket. "Keeva, you can let go now, princess," He speaks softly, his head tilted downwards towards me. I slowly unlatch my arms from around his waist and wait as Ryder gets off. He reaches his hand out to me and I take it.

Stumbling slightly, I grip Ryder's hand as I swing my leg from around the bike. When I'm firmly seated on my own feet, Ryder takes his hand back and stares down at me. "Get some rest," He ordered. "And remember to stay away from the gardens."

For a fleeting moment, Ryder meets my eyes and seems to let down his walls. Unknown emotions fill his eyes before he turns away and once again shuts me and the entire world out.

Sighing tiredly, I turn and head to the door, rubbing my eye with the palm of my hand. I halted at the door than, remembering I didn't have a key yet. "Shit," I mutter. "Wow, the good girl actually swears." Ryder spats, moving me to the side as he jams a key into the door.

I stand frozen to the spot, staring at Ryder with wide eyes as my breath picks up. That's exactly what the kids at my old school were sneer at me. I was called a good girl, little Ms. Perfect, teacher's pet and more, much more. When Ryder turns to me with a raised hand, out of instinct, I cower down and flinch back.

My eyes were squeeze shut as I waited for the impact but when it never came, I cautious peek through my eyelashes to see Ryder staring at me in surprise, his hand frozen in his hair. Of course, he was just running his hand through his hair as he often does.

My eyelashes are suddenly wet with tears and I blink to keep them back. Ryder slowly lowers his hand as he continues to stare at me in astonishment. "Did you actually think I would hit you?" He states.

I looked down and when I do, his hand suddenly shoots up to grasp my chin. Shocked, I let out a soft gasp as he jerks my head up to look him in the eyes. I kept my eyes firmly down though.

"Look at me, Keeva!" He growls fiercely. I shook my head as best I could, "No." I felt as Ryder's body started trembling in anger, "Look at me, Keeva Rose!" He roars. I flinch slightly but immediately my eyes snap to his furious golden brown. "Did you think I would hit you?!" Ryder repeats.

I wet my lips, "No, I-" I cut myself off when he glares, warning me not to lie. My shoulders slump in defeat, "Yes," I whisper. Ryder's jaw clenched, his eyes hardening, "Why?" He grounds out. I tremble at the cold shivers running down my spine, "Because you called me a good girl," I confessed, "The bullies would call me that and other things before they hit me."

Ryder growls quietly, leaning in until the tip of his nose brushes mine before searching my eyes deeply. Finally after a few intense moments, Ryder releases my chin and turns away, "Don't be scared of me, Princess," He murmurs, swinging the front door open. Slowly, Ryder meets my still frightened blue eyes, "I won't hurt you."

When he disappears inside, I let out a soft breath of relief. Dropping my head, I headed inside too and immediately up the stairs to my bedroom. When I finally get there, I drop onto my bed and immediately pass out.

*****

I wake up some time later after dinner time and end up in the place Ryder warned me away from.

The back gardens.

I was just about to settle on the edge of the fountain like earlier when three boys show up. "He said he would be here," I hear one of the boys say in hush whispers to the other two. Confusion filled my head at their words.

"There's no way he would skip on us," One of them responded as the third guy looks up and his eyes clash with mine. A sadistic glitch enters his eyes at the sight of me sitting frozen to my spot.

"Look-y here, it's new girl," He sneers. That's when I shoot to my feet and start backing away. The other two turn around to face me as well. "Looks like we have company, Clark, Jerry," The third one sneers. I flinch at the glares they aim at me.

Than 'Jerry' starts eying me and not in a good way. "She could be pretty fun." A small gasp falls from my lips and I recoil in disgust when Jerry reaches out to grab me. I did what I could and stomped the heel of my ankle boots onto his foot.

While Jerry hops up and down in pain, Clark sneers again and dashes towards me. I stumbled back when his fist comes flying at me in rage. I cry out and landed on the ground, holding my throbbing jaw and twisting my ankle in the process. I whimper when they all three head over to me.

I managed to scramble to my feet in time to scrabble backwards into the brick wall. The three stand in front of me where I cowered. My body was curled up in a protective ball, my hands covering my face.

"We got you now," The third boy taunts. Clark flashes him a grin, "What first, Marcus?" Before Marcus could answer, Jerry glares at me, "I think she deserves to be taught a lesson," A quiet whimper falls from my lips as I see Jerry pull his fist up and I close my eyes waiting for the impact.

"Step the fuck away from her."

My eyes shot open in shock when I hear Ryder's familiar voice. Instantly, I'm greeted with the sight of Ryder, his fists and jaw clenched with eyes wild with fury. His hair was messier than ever as he glares coldly at the boys. A pocket knife was open in his hands as he twisted it around expertly between his fingers.

The three boys whirl around to face the seething, dangerous fury of Ryder. "Took you long enough," Marcus states. A warning growl comes from Ryder, "Step away from her," He growls, a threat hidden in his words, "Now."

The boys, frozen with fear at his tone, immediately obey and step away from me. Ryder's golden eyes snap from them to me instantly and he beckons me forwards, "Keeva, come here," He orders in a voice of steel. I don't waste a second before dashing to his side.

Ryder shifts protectively in front of me, hiding me from view. Marcus glares at me in disgust. "What is she? Your little bitch?" Ryder bristles at his words, his golden eyes hardening.

His arm that had been wrapped around my waist while I was behind his back disappear and he's suddenly in front of Marcus, his fist making contact with Marcus's nose.

With a loud crack, Marcus falls backwards and Ryder tackles the other two as they launch themselves at him. Ryder elbows Clark in the stomach before flipping him onto Jerry.

They landed onto the ground with a loud thump before Ryder slams their heads together hard enough to knock them out.

He stood over them, breathing hard before he turns his golden gaze onto me. I was still rooted to my spot, flinching at his glare, "What the fuck were you thinking?!" He snarls at me.