(19)My best friend is a vampire slayer...Did I mention I'm a vampire?

Chapter 19

Carly(They are back home in New York. It'll explain itself)

We came back a month ago. I haven't spoken to him since. Damien is missing, and for real this time. Probably my fault. We had a fight, a real one. Screaming and yelling. I was just trying to figure out what was going on with him. He had been acting strange. Making secret phone calls in the middle of the night, stuff like that. Probably ran away with Melanie, nobody's seen her around either. Kyle, who is usually on my side, is avoiding me. Popular people now know me. It's not winter anymore. The snow has mostly melted away. I act normal, but I'm dying on the inside. Nobody notices, nobody cares. My heart is broken. Another myth, vampires don't have feelings. We do. I'm not doing very well in school. I act and smile and laugh with everybody.

I think I hate him. He's broken my heart twice, and he has the potential to kill me. That is if he wanted to. I'm sure he does after what I said to him. I'm not going repeat what I said. Not ever. I hate my life. This time I mean it. I do. I hate Damien. He's not coming back. Never. There's a new boy. Tyler. Black hair. Reminds me of D. Blue eyes. Reminds me of Jake. I take a deep breath, and walk over to introduce myself. Sometimes, a girl needs a friend. He's looking at his schedule clearly confused, "Hey. I'm Carly."

"Tyler," he says, "Can you help me? I'm confused."

"Sure," I say taking his schedule, I laugh. "We have the same classes. What a coincidence!"

"Hey, that means you can show me around. You know, if that's ok with you?" he rubs the back of his neck.

"Sure, come on. Where's your locker?"

Tyler is really nice. I learn he lived in California before coming here. He has a little sister and a dog. I laugh along to his jokes. For once, I come home happy. I've forgotten about Damien.

***

I wake up early the next morning. Tyler promised he'd drive me to school. I'm excited for once in a long time. He texts me to make sure he's still coming. Aunt Ginger notices that I'm not sulking around. I even eat breakfast with her. I run out the door, not caring that Tyler's car is in Damien's spot. Damien left me, Tyler kept his promises. I hop in the front seat, "Sorry I'm late."

"No problem. I'm early anyway. Aren't I?"

"Not used to the time change," I laugh, "I wasn't either. You know when I first moved here."

"Yeah. So, you wanna go out this weekend? Show me the city."

"Mm hmm. Not ever being able to see New York at night is a crime," I've known Tyler two days. I already have a date with him. We sit next to each other in every class; I've been assigned to show him around. We eat lunch together, and he drives me home, "Wanna come in? I think Aunt Ginger made some cookies."

"Sure. I'd like to meet your aunt too," I smile and unlock the door to my house. Sure enough, Aunt Ginger is baking in the kitchen, watching Glee, and singing along crazily. I laugh. She stops when she realizes that I have company.

"Hello! You must be Tyler. Carly told me she'd be showing you around for a couple days." I flush. Aunts can be so embarrassing.

"Pleased to meet you," He says politely, "Hey, Carls, I have to pick my sister up from kindergarten. See you later?"

"Yeah. Bye!" I call. Aunt Ginger looks impressed.

"He's a keeper," she says drying a bowl. I agree totally. Tyler calls me that night and we talk for hours. Life is beginning to suck a little less.