(9)My best friend is a vampire slayer...Did I mention I'm a vampire?

Chapter 9

Carly

I wake up, it's 7:30. Crap! School starts at 8. I scramble to put my clothes on, brush my teeth and eat breakfast. Orange juice and tooth paste do not go good together. Aunt Ginger drives me to school, I grab my bag out of the back. Damien isn't anywhere. I look around and at my phone. Nothing. Where the heck is he. The late bell rings and everybody hurries to class. I feel a knot form in my stomach. D has never not notified me when he's not going to be at school. Maybe he forgot. I'm over-reacting. I hurry to homeroom.

Jake sits at the front of the room. I avoid eye contact and slide into a chair at the very back. Mr. Harris talks on and on. I try to listen but can't focus. I even get called on to answer a question that I obviously don't know the answer to. The teacher sees I'm out of it and lets it slide. The knot in my stomach grows at lunch when D still hasn't texted back. I sit down in History. Ten minutes into class the intercom sounds, 'Carly White to the main office. Carly White.' They used the intercom for the whole school. Everyone stares at me as I walk out of the room.

"Carly," Kyle stands up. His hair is messy and he looks exhausted.

"What is going on?"

"It's Damien. He's gone. Missing." I feel myself fall to the ground for the second time this week. This time it hurt so much more.