(8) My best friend is a vampire slayer...Did I mention I'm a vampire?

Chapter 8:

"Damien, please pick up I really need to talk to you. I'm so sorry. D, please. I feel so bad and I want to make it up to you. I don't know why I acted like that on Friday. I just- it's complicated-"

"I'm here," I say slowly.

"Oh D! Thank god! It's just so complicated."

"Complicated like you're a vampire."

She doesn't respond. I see I'm right, "D, that's why I freaked. I'm scared of you..."

"I would never hurt you," How could she even think that? I'm her flippin' best friend.

"Isn't it, like, dangerous though?"

I pause, "Yeah."

"Oh," it's quiet again. I can tell she's thinking, playing with her hair, "well who would find out?"

"Um, my boss."

"Why do you hate us so much?" So many questions, so few answers.

"Honestly I don't. It's just c-"

"Complicated, I know. Look, I'm really sorry. Aunt Ginger is getting suspicious. I gotta go. See you at school?"

"Sure," the line goes dead. It's still awkward. She's still a vampire. I'm still in love with her.

Carly

I hang up the phone. Aunt Ginger yells at me to go to bed. Hopefully things are good between me and Damien. I don't doubt it. It's dangerous, yes. But what would I risk to stay friends with him. My handsome, green-eyed, black-haired best friend. The answer is anything. He is the best friend a girl could have. One thing I do doubt; that he's still in love with me.

Any girl would be lucky to have him. Wonder who he'll choose.... I drift off to sleep. I dream of D.