SEVEN: A Clue of Parenthood

There was only one other boat on the Sound.

Because the canoeing lake was under construction (I almost didn't want to know what had happened to it), I was told that we were using the Long Island Sound instead. It was quite difficult to drag my canoe all the way there, but I managed.

Brandon, from the Hebe cabin, was dozing peacefully in his canoe out on open water when I passed him in my own boat.

I wondered how lonely it must have been for the year-rounders. Besides the morning group training thing they had going on in the arena, the rest of the day was sanctioned off into possibly lonely activities you could only do by yourself until summer rolled around and you had friends to do it with.

When it came to boating, I hadn't done it much in my life time, but I knew how to work the oars. Swimming is something I didn't do often, but I knew how, so I wasn't too worried about flipping over.

I rowed my way to the middle of the lake with a great deal of effort. If I didn't know better, I would have sworn that the current, though seemingly pushing outward, was fighting against me.

I tried, then, to copy Brandon's example. I rested the oars in their holders and leaned back against the hard interior of the canoe. Sure, it wasn't the most comfortable makeshift bed, but with my arms acting as a pillow under my head, I had a lot of time to think.

I thought about Johnny, and what he'd said to me. Was I being selfish? Maybe. But Johnny was like a brother to me; my best friend! I saw nothing wrong with wanting him both to stay and hang out with me here at camp.

Here at camp. I couldn't believe it was only hitting me now. This would be my home for the summer. I'd never been away from my parents for as long as a weekend let alone three months. No. They weren't my parents. They adopted me. Or, at least, one had. But which one, if not both? Who had been lying to me? Could I go back home? Maybe I'd become a year-rounder - then I wouldn't have to.

But this place wasn't a home, either. It was only--

My thoughts were interrupted when I opened my eyes and realized that the sky was spinning. No, it was my canoe!

Anger and confusion were swept away by the panic closing in on my chest. As soon as I pulled myself up to a seated position, the spinning stopped.

I put my dizzy head over the edge for fear of losing my lunch. In the water, staring back up at me, was a sixteen-year-old merman holding a conch shell. I could only make out dark hair and intense eyes as the water grew murkier above his face. He blew the horn and suddenly I could hear his deep voice in my head.

'This is not your domain, you do not belong here.'

All I could do was stare. I didn't know how to respond, or what exactly his words meant. I only knew that they were a warning.

'You have five seconds. Four. Three.'

"What are you counting--"

'Two. One.'

We pulled an Ariel, my boat capsized and suddenly I was under water. It happened so fast that I didn't have a chance to gasp for air, I couldn't breath. I was flailing my arms in a desperate attempt to break surface, but the merman must've been pulling me down.

The water had become so cloudy around me that I felt claustrophobic.

'It is not your domain.' The voice repeated below me. 'It would be in your best interest to stay away.'

I didn't know what he was talking about, my mind was slowing to a halt. Spots danced in front of my vision, I gasped and water flooded my lungs. Despite there being no walls underwater, I was frantically aware of the feeling of them closing in around me. My heart was beating too fast for me to process any more than the thought of my impending doom. I wanted to scream.