Chapter 21

Bri’s POV

Thanks to Luke, I fell asleep in every single class today. Even though I slept through most of History, it was weird not having Luke there.

I texted him to make sure he got home okay last night, but he didn’t answer. I started to grow worried, but I convinced myself he was still sleeping.

Daisy called and asked me to take over her shift today, which I gladly said yes. Her parents came to visit her unannounced and I wasn’t going to be a bitch and make her work while her family was here.

I quickly got changed into my uniform and grabbed a coffee from the lounge on the way out. I wasn’t a fan of coffee, but I needed the caffeine in my system if I wanted to stay awake during this shift.

“Where’s Daisy?” Matt asked as I walked into the restaurant.

“Nice to see you too Matt,” I said sarcastically, continuing to walk to the back room to putt my stuff down.

“I’m happy to see you, I just thought this was her shift,” he laughed.

“Well it was, but she asked me to cover for her, and I still haven’t gotten my check so I could use the extra money,” I explained.

“Ah, I see,” he nodded. “Are you working Friday?”

“I don’t think so, why?”

“Do you want to maybe go out and do something?” he asked nervously.

“I’d love to, but I have a boyfriend, unless you meant as just friends, because then I can,” I answered.

“Yeah, as friends,” he pressed his lips into a thin line.

“Alright, text me the details later because if we don’t start working, were going to get in trouble,” I laughed, walking past him and towards the podium.

*

After a long shift with irritating customers and awkward silences between Matt and I, I walked home in the freezing cold.

As I walked in the dark, I picked up my pace, getting paranoid over every little thing. Soon enough I would have my license and a car of my own. No more walking.

Kristina yelled at me when I got back, saying that I should have called her if I needed a ride home and how I probably caught a cold.

My phone rang, cutting Kristina’s lecture off short, thank God.

“Hello?” I answered, without checking who was calling.

“Hey Bri, sorry I didn’t answer my phone, it was under the couch and I just found it,” he said.

“It’s fine,” I shrugged, even though he couldn’t see me.

“Do you want to spend the night here?” he asked quietly.

“Sure, why not,” I smiled. It probably wasn’t the best idea to go since I’m behind on sleep as it is, but I couldn’t resist.

“Alright, I need to go to the store to get more food, so I’ll get you in like an hour?” he stated, estimating the last part.

“Sounds good,” I agreed and hung up so I could pack everything I would need.

“Let me guess, you’re sleeping at Luke’s again,” Kristina crossed her arms.

“Yeah, so?” I asked, starting to get annoyed.

“Nothing, just we never hang out anymore, you’re always with Luke or at work, I never see you or Syd,” her voice cracked. “I feel like I’m losing my best friends.” A tear rolled down her face.

I stood up from my bed and walked over to her to hug her and wipe her eyes with my thumb.

“Kristina, you’re not losing either one of us. I know I’m spending maybe too much time with Luke, but I can’t help it, I haven’t had a boyfriend in so long I just don’t want to mess it up, and Sydney and Ashton are a new couple too, so they’re always going out too,” I explained. “Don’t worry, we’ll start hanging out again.”

“Promise?” she sniffled.

“Promise,” I repeated. “It’s only one night, plus we had a girl’s night like two days ago!”

She shrugged, and picked up her phone, obviously no longer interested in the conversation.

Luke’s POV

As soon as Bri and I got back to my apartment, she offered to make one of the boxes of Mac and Cheese, since I had a lot of note copying to do.

I haven’t really been to any of my classes in a solid three days, obviously not a smart decision and I hope my mom doesn’t find out, because she’s going to be pissed.

“It’s ready,” Bri called from the kitchen.

“Coming,” I called back, finishing up the sentence and marking Bri’s paper so I know where I left off.

This felt so right; her making dinner while I study, and then we both sit down to eat together. I want her to move in with me, but I’m scared that if I ask, she’ll say no.

Plus, I know her mother doesn’t want her having a boyfriend, and if she comes to visit, she’ll flip if she found out she not only had one, but was living with him after only a month.

“It’s getting late, you don’t have to stay up with me if you don’t want to,” I said, noticing the bags starting to form under her eyes.

“I don’t mind,” she said before yawning.

“Liar,” I laughed, and she joined in too. “I’m going to take a shower before I finish up.”

“Alright,” she smiled, bringing our bowls and cups to the sink to wash them.

“You better be sleeping when I get out,” I teased her as I walked to the bathroom.

“Yeah, yeah,” she dismissed me with a giggle.

Bri’s POV

I stopped washing the dishes so Luke could take a hot shower, so instead I decided to change into sweatpants and I threw my hair into a messy bun.

I was about to go into Luke’s room and go to bed, when there was a knock at the door.

I hurried over to the door and opened it to come face to face with no other than Aleisha.

If you want faster updates, comment and vote! I'll be more motivated to write if i know people are enjoying.