Chapter 21

Bathrooms were luxuries. I was learning that while I was here. It was just one more thing that made me feel disgusting living on this island. Of course, that was because I wasn't used to wiping my ass with leaves. I wasn't used to the slight lack of privacy. I could say this, though, Thank God, I could toss aside the moss until next month. Just couldn't imagine what we will be doing and where we will be next time I get my period.

After cleaning up and walking back to where we spent the night sleeping without a fire to warm us, we were ready to go. We knew we couldn't give in and spend today relaxing too. Despite being hurt and sore, we needed to get some walking done today. Having no food made me even more anxious to find the creek. Because of the heat unlike yesterday, fresh water sounded pretty good to me.

As we set out walking, it was clear we weren't going to be nearly as productive as usual. We couldn't walk nearly as fast and with how sore we were, we would need more breaks too. The cuts on the bottom of my feet didn't help either, but they weren't much of a concern considering our current situation. No food, no spear, no relief for my aching body, and no words to say to him. I know I sound pathetic but today was not a great day to upset me. I was ready to explode with all the tension and energy around us. Mr. Rush and I said as little as possible to each other, save a few words. Though I was quite mad, I wasn't as upset as I was yesterday but enough to not want to bother with him at all.

About mid-afternoon, we stumbled across more than just flat land and the sight of a cluttered debris-filled beach. With each step, we noticed something in the distance standing out. There was a high point of some sort down the beach. A cliff or maybe plateau was more accurate.

We continued until we could take it all in. Mr. Rush froze before it, staring blankly up at it with me. Our eyes ran up the jagged rocks that stretched high from the tree line all the way out to the water. It was very daunting to see the land curve up like that deeper into the woods. Staring up at the open top of it, it was clear that on top of these massive rocks was a flat and grassy top. The rocks of this plateau stretched out into the water. The whole thing also seemed strangely familiar to me somehow too.

Mr. Rush backed up, sizing it up as he craned his neck. Was he considering climbing it? That would be dangerous. If we want to get past it by climbing it, our best bet would be to move further into the trees and go over it. Staring into the trees, though, it was clear that it would be a while before being able to safely climb up it. Plus, we didn't want to get lost again either with how far back we might have to go into the trees. That would be a huge risk.

"What are we going to do?" I asked.

He studied it again, his eyes sweeping back to the water where the cliff stopped, as if out of nowhere. He sighed. "The best way would be to go in the water and move around it. If we hold onto the rocks, the current shouldn't mess with us."

I looked where his eyes were. The rocks where the cliff ended were not that far out. We knew it was deep, though, and the waves would be stronger. The wind they brought proved so as my hair brushed behind me in the breeze. Even though we were pretty beaten up, it didn't look bad.

"That seems fine," I said, studying it myself.

He nodded, looking up at the rocks again as we continued forward. We reached where the sand gave way to rocks when Mr. Rush stopped and looked me straight in the eyes. "Follow close behind me. The ocean is unpredictable."

I scoffed, saying nothing and receiving nothing else from him. Sighing, he moved and turned towards the water, his feet eventually breaking the surface. Following behind him, I watched him closely, knowing that this was a serious situation.