Chapter 4

I felt a rough texture against my back through my wet and sandy clothes. The sound of calming waves crashing together met my ears, and a slight breeze caressed my face. The most noticeable sensation I received was from the burning in my throat.

I couldn't open my eyes, even as I heard a shuffling sound around me. I did try to move a little from my uncomfortable position since I was leaning up against something rough. Even still, just at that little movement, it left me gasping and moaning in pain. It also brought on another feeling. Two hands steadied me against where I was leaning.

"Janice? Janice, open your eyes," a familiar voice whispered in front of me.

I knew if I did, the sun would shock my eyes. It already was shining bright red through my eyelids. For some reason that voice triggered something inside of me. I opened my burning eyes slightly, taking in a mass of a man in front of me. It made me wince as the sun hit my eyes, making me close them again.

"Open your eyes," the voice repeated.

I coughed as I tried to speak, finally managing even though it hurt. "The sun."

He must have realized what I meant because the glowing red soon faded from behind my eyelids. Blackness took its place, promising the sun was blocked. I opened my eyes again and this time, the man was blocking the sun from my view. It gave me the opportunity to take in the sight before me.

The tree I was being propped against, I saw, was on the edge of a shore of the endless ocean. The water was a pretty light blue, unlike what you see anywhere else. I was surrounded by the start of tall grass and sand, which was sticking all over my wet clothes. Down the beach to my right, big jagged rocks stood in the water, climbing until they reached the shore and kept climbing to make a cliff above the water and sand. I looked back before me. Mr. Rush looked anxious as he stared at me.

I stared back at him. And my god, it was like I was taking in a completely different person. He wasn't perfect, he was a mess. The plaid shirt he had before wasn't on him. Left was the soaked and clingy white undershirt. It made his chest more visible, and I noticed it had rips in it. It gave me the chance to see his chest hair, which was a strange sight. He was covered in sand too, blending into his tan wet shorts. His tennis shoes were still intact on his feet as I continued looking him over. What drew my attention the most was his hair.

It was not pulled back perfectly for the first time. Now that it was damp and free, it actually curled around his face. I never knew he had bangs until that moment where they hung in his eyes. And his eyes... wow. Even though he showed me he was opening up more, it wasn't like this before. Everything came pouring out as he searched my face. His brown eyes radiated loads of worry, nervousness, pain while also relief.

Mr. Rush bent forward and sat facing me next to my outstretched legs. I tried sitting up more, but all it did was cause me to cry out again. His eyes swept over my body and landed on my stiff back. He inched closer and took my hand in his, steadying me. "Are you okay?"

He sounded so worried, and his eyes confirmed it. Regardless, his question made me laugh; it helped block out what happened too. "That is all you have been asking me lately. Yes, I am okay."

He eyed my stiff form again. "You don't seem okay."

I looked around again and this time... it was sinking in. The realization was coming with the full force of what happened. "W-what happened exactly?"

He looked down to the sand, avoiding my gaze as his eyebrows creased in sadness. I immediately regretted my question as I already knew. "The plane crashed..." he nodded, jaw tightening.