Chapter 9

It was as if this morning didn't happen. My throat stung, and I was starting to get dizzy again. What was worse than yesterday, however, was my need to drink. I have never been so thirsty! I knew complaining about it would do nothing but waste my energy.

We walked and walked; it was the same as yesterday — mostly. Something different did happen. It was getting late, and neither of us was up for talking. We had one goal, and our hope was decreasing with every step. Sweat kept coming and to keep myself distracted from the pain in my throat and my hunger, fantasized about how it would be to bathe.

My greasy and gross hair was in knots, and that was only one issue. Think about it. For the past few days we have been here, none of us actually got a proper bath. No toothbrush, hairbrush... nothing to clean ourselves, I felt disgusting. The sweat burning in my eyes and the bugs becoming more bothersome made it worse. What I wouldn't give for a bath! To rest my legs and clean off any evidence of this island!

It made me feel conscious of myself too. I knew that Mr. Rush was in the same spot as me. He felt probably just as gross. The thing was, half my issue was that I was attracted to this man. Instinct made me at least want to look okay around him, and I knew that was not the case. I felt gross, looked it, and the hair on my legs and under my armpits did not help make me less self-conscious.

I knew there was no use dwelling over this. Our survival was more important obviously. Even if I were given a shower this second, I would have ended up drinking all the water in the flipping tub anyway!

I scowled at the realization that there was no stopping the thoughts and desire of water from coming.

"What's wrong? Is your back hurting?" Mr. Rush asked, noticing my slight scowl.

"Well, that's better than 'are you okay?'" I said, laughing and trying to dodge his observation.

He smiled. "So your back is fine?"

"I wouldn't say fine. I can still feel it, but it does feel better."

Mr. Rush smiled softly. "Huh. Well, I uh... guess I can always go into being a doctor now," he said in a proud voice. It made me raise an eyebrow at his light tone.

"Hey now, you're a teacher, don't forget," I chuckled. It was so new and nice to see this side of him more.

"I think I am amazing enough to do just about both," he joked. He was probably right too. "Being a—" Mr. Rush cut himself off and stopped walking. I turned around to face him and caught his eyes. They widened, and I noticed his posture was now stiff.

"What is it?"

A slow smile spread across his lips, and he tilted his head to the side. "Do you hear that?"

I stayed silent with him and listened. Listened to the birds chirp, the leaves swaying in the slight breeze, and... there was something else.

I gasped as I realized what it was. That same second, he was off, and continuing ahead with purpose at a faster pace. I followed just as eager. The smell of beach hit me, relief from the stench of our bodies. We ended up running ahead until the sound was louder, closer. The trees started to become less crowded, and the long grass soon became sand before me. The sight was amazing after so long in the forest. The sound of waves crashing was a relief.

I most likely would have jumped up and down if I wasn't so exhausted. I did manage a smile and saw it mirrored on his face as we looked ahead. He turned to me and said, "Well, we're closer now. We just need to walk along the beach until we find the stream."

"Well, didn't you say there was maybe a way we could drink this," I said, gesturing out before us to the wide span of open ocean. "I know its salt water but can't we boil it or something?"