Chapter 12

When I woke, I wasn't covered in sweat. I looked around and found ashes that had once been the burning wood. It was still dark, with just a hint of blue filtering through, signifying very early morning. I looked over to Mr. Rush, who was still sleeping, and crawled over the wet grass to him.

He was on his side, facing me in a peaceful sleep. His face was that of perfect smoothness, and it was nice to see him so relaxed and rested. His closed eyelids leading to those long lashes... it complimented him. All his features did. He might as well have lost his mind if he thought he wasn't beautiful before he changed.

I planned on waking him, my hand already extended and resting on his shoulder. I paused, though and moved closer, crossing my legs. I let myself place a hand over his cheek, cupping the warm skin there. My thumb ran up and down, slightly touching the curve of his lip. I knew I should not be doing this and especially now. I could not help it, knowing he was asleep. I also knew we had enough time before the sun rose.

I could see his features even more clearly being this close to him. While keeping my eyes on his closed ones for any sign of him waking, I slowly moved my hand up to his forehead. I brushed his hair back as lightly as I could. His face didn't move, and I turned daring, sliding my fingers through his hair and tucking it behind his ear.

When he suddenly shifted, I froze. I immediately started praying that he stay asleep. Thankfully, he stilled, and I could see he didn't leave his deep sleep. The only thing that was different was that a small smile turned his lips up in his sleep. I was scared that if he moved again, he might actually wake up. But I couldn't let it end there, not yet. That's why I allowed myself to slip down and next to him in the grass. I was on my side and facing him as he was me. Almost immediately, it made my heart pick up.

His slow, steady breath brushed in and out of his nose; the sound was music to me. His chest moved up and down slowly, and I gingerly ran my hand over to his shoulder. When I slid my hand down to his chest, I could feel the muscle under my touch and the beat of his warm heart. My fingers spread open, grazing the curly hairs on his chest. And from there, I ran my hand down to the curve of his hip and left it there as I watched him. His face with that tired smile mesmerized me. I just wish I could help him...

He was so blind. Denial is not something many people can live without. No matter how much pain it delays and builds up, we as people love the shield it creates. I learned enough to know that it was good to avoid being sucked into its trap. I guess Mr. Rush did not because from what he told me, I knew Jill was a terrible person. Even he knew that but would not face it. It was denial, and I just hope that he will see past it. He didn't deserve to be wrapped up in someone like that. He was too good for that.

I pulled my hand back and internally sighed, not wanting to think about him like that anymore. That would just be more pain for me, I reminded myself. Not to mention, at realizing what I was doing, I felt embarrassed and a little pathetic.

I got to my knees and finally shook him awake. He blinked a few times, his brown eyes finding me as he sat up. He took a deep breath and instantly started looking around at his surroundings. A slow smile crept across his lips, the ones my thumb brushed against, and he aimed it at me.

"Thanks for waking me up," he said with a yawn, that smile returning when he glanced down to the dew on the grass. "Oh man, this is going to feel good."

He was right, and the back of my throat agreed. I felt some shame knowing that I took the time to be creepy instead of licking up some dew. With how much I longed for water, I wasn't sure how I managed that.

I let my body slip forward until I was lying on my stomach. I buried my face in the grass, letting my mouth flow over the blades. Like before, it was torture while also bliss. It wasn't enough, but enough to get us by. What made it better was that we had a lot of time before the sun rose to take the dew away.