Chapter 5

The sun was dimming in the sky. The day was turning colder with every step we were taking. It didn't help when the breeze it brought pushed against my back. It was still aching from that stupid cut.

Mr. Rush stayed ahead of me and walked sluggishly, even if he tried doing so with determination. We both were still in a great deal of pain. Then add him carrying a suitcase and me dealing with a deep cut. What made it worse? We have been walking for maybe three or four hours already.

"Do you think we should stop for the night?" I asked, my back screaming to stop as well as my whole body.

"We can stop soon. Just a little further. It would be best to find water tonight."

"You really think we can find it tonight? This place is huge."

"Yeah, it's huge. But there must be a water source close. We have been walking straight the whole time."

I had no idea what he was talking about, but I stayed with him, dragging behind. "What if we don't find it at all? We will have to drink our own piss," I said, anything so he will stop.

Turning around and stopping, he looked at me like I was crazy. "Um, excuse me?"

He wasn't walking so I instantly sat on the ground. My abrupt change in movement made me groan loudly. I continued speaking though after a moment. "Yeah, if it gets bad enough, we are going to have to drink our own urine."

He looked amused, which was fairly weird to see. "Yeah, you think so?"

"I do," I said, still stalling to stay on the ground. I wouldn't admit it to him, but the cut on my back was starting to hurt more and more. I wasn't lying before either. Drinking your own urine could work, but it had clear drawbacks.

"Maybe, but let's just hope it doesn't get that bad. Now, stop stalling and get up. We need to keep moving."

"Fine," I sighed as I got to my feet. However, it was only to fall back again, dizziness taking over. My ass hitting the ground again, I clenched my teeth violently to stop a shriek. The pain would not stop shooting in every direction from that cut. I was relieved when I saw him drop the suitcase. He helped me to my feet by grabbing both my hands. He held me firmly there and glanced behind me at my back.

"Oh shit," he whispered, his eyes wandering over my lower back when he lifted the shirt slightly.

"Language, Mr. Rush," I snorted, keeping my mind off the pain as much as I could. He didn't reply but just stood there, frozen as he took in my back. His lack of a response made me apprehensive.

He quickly went behind me, letting my arms go. "Sit back down." I didn't fight him as he slowly had me sit. Sitting behind me, he then added, "Take your shirt off."

I didn't have the strength to tease him or even question him on it. I held in my scream as I slid my arms out, making my back tense. I was relieved that he helped me with the rest, pulling it off me. My vision was starting to spin and make my mind ache.

Next thing I knew, from my blurred side vision, he moved from where he was behind me. Mr. Rush came back into my view, sitting in front of me as he dragged the suitcase closer. I was confused as to what he was doing, but he had an expression of purpose. Then I watched as he unzipped the bag. He pulled out a white shirt with a colorful design along the sides.

Despite the dizziness, I could still see – and see his concerned face. "What is happening?"

"It's turning a little white and puffy. We cleaned it out, but with walking, more dirt got in it. Even with cleaning it, there was still a chance of infection from the water too." He scooted closer towards me as he tore at the fabric of the shirt he grabbed. Making it longer by tearing it, he then slipped his hand under my arm with one end of the ripped shirt. He wrapped it around my back.