Chapter 19

“I see…I see…I see…”

“So what do you think then?”

You were beginning to get irritated. It had already been about 5 minutes since you finished your story and Suikotsu hasn’t responded yet. Well, he reacted but he didn’t respond. Which was beginning to annoy you.

“Are you taking the time to think or are you purposely making me wait?”

“Well, it is quite an unusual dream and you only dreamt it after you received your sword.”

“I’ve already been training with it too, just so you know.”

“I know.” Suikotsu replied calmly. “I saw you. So did Bankotsu.”

Sweat drop.

I swear that guy is starting to be a bit of a stalker.

“So what do you think?”

“In a usual context, I’d tell you that I am a doctor, not a therapist.”

“You-“

“But! I can say, there may be a living soul within your sword.”

“Katsura?”

“Yes, likely to be a previous owner.” Said Suikotsu, bringing a sake cup to his lips.

“But what theory did you come to conclude to that?” you asked, ignoring the wonder of why they drink so much sake.

“Katsura is a Ketsuekizoku sword, is she not?” you nodded. “They have their own mind, or in this case, soul. As dangerous as they come, they are quite powerful.”

“Oh! But…I don’t even know what family this sword came from or anything about its previous owners.”

“Indeed. And it’s still in such good condition that the blacksmith was able to fix it. I suggest you be careful around it.” Suikotsu’s serious face turned into a charming smile. “Now! Time for lunch.”

“Oh well, I haven’t eaten all day so let’s go to lunch.”

“I’m full!” Jakotsu moaned as he landed his chin on the table.

“They were rather big fish.” Renkotsu shrugged, on his last piece of rice.

Suikotsu put up his hand like a child in a classroom. “Can we have some sake?”

“Could you at least try to drink something healthier?” you shook your head, eyes landing on the melon juice you had asked for. “Like what I’m drinking?”

“No, we’re good.” They all said in unison.

So straightforward!!

“Anyway, anyway…” Hyura spoke. “Have you packed up, Yozora?”

“Oh…” you snapped. “Yeah, pretty much. I seem to have been getting early birthday and farewell cards gifts from some villagers too. Even the tea shop people decided to give me packets of their best tea. Although, I’m not too sure where I’ll be able to prepare them when I leave. And some stallkeepers sent me a product or two of theirs, like pouches and kimonos. Plus, there’s that pretty…”

The Shichinintai members were at a loss of words while you went on about the gifts you received, unaware of how much you’re speaking that day. Suikotsu, however, suspects that you were just rather jumpy after that talk you had with him this morning. He’d never seen you so upbeat in the light of day.

“By the way, how’s Shouta doing?” you asked Hyura seriously. She grinned, but Bankotsu was suspicious. He remembered Hyura talking about a new captain for the army; he’s never heard you ask about him. He felt a tug on his chest, and he doesn’t know why.

“He was actually doing a good job at training the past week.” Said Hyura. “He’s been meaning to ask you to join him on one of his training sessions, you know.”

Bankotsu could see your ears visibly perk up at that. “Really?”

“Yep. In fact, he has one today  before dinner. You could join him then.”

“Ha!” you grinned, putting a thumbs up. “I’m there!”

“My, you sound excited~” Hyura giggled as the ladylike noble lady she was. “He’ll be thrilled too.”

“Are you okaaaay, Big Brother?” Jakotsu asked, patting his belly. Bankotsu only grunted, as if to say ‘I’m fine’.

“I used to think Arakida was pathetic and naïve, you know, when I first met him,” you said thoughtfully. “but now that I think about it, he seems more…sensible now.”

Weren’t you just calling him by his first name?

“Oh! Yozora! Do you want to go out on your birthday?”

You thought about it. “I don’t know. I wouldn’t want what happened last time to happen again but I would like to get out of the castle.”

Hyura looked up from her mango slice. “What happened last time?”

“They gave her alcohol and you might remember that Yozora gets You-Know-What when she drinks alcohol.” Tsurigino said, who just came out of nowhere.

Hyura let out a small giggle, not at all seeming surprised. She had seen it happen before. If she didn’t, she wouldn’t have been aware of your reaction with alcohol. Is that not obvious?

“Go out, Yozora.” You turned to her with a straight face. “We’ll have the rest of the staff like Kenta and Ruka to go with you.”

“Ruka is underaged.”

“But she’ll be under Akira’s guidance if she goes to.”

As much as you didn’t want to admit or show it, going out with a group you’ve been with for years for your birthday seems like something fun to do. Possibly meet the villagers along the way. As long as they don’t give you alcohol again. You agreed.

As for the Shouta situation, Bankotsu decided to wait until before dinner.

Bankotsu sat on the roof that gave him a good view of the training grounds. Shouta had just arrived. It was the first time Bankotsu had the time to observe him; he’d seen him around the castle other times but never bothered to speak to him. Bankotsu was judgmental like that.

He wandered around, waiting for you to arrive. Bankotsu was beginning to think that you were playing him and decided to go off somewhere else, which brought a triumphant smirk to his face. His assumptions were proved wrong when he spotted a dagger being thrown from under the roof, almost scarring Shouta, ending up in the center of a wooden dummy’s face.

Good shot, Yozora.

He thought, despite his disappointment.

Bankotsu couldn’t heard your conversation, but he could easily see the eager smile on your face. Your back was to him so he could see your folded hands behind, at some point slowly reaching up to take out your sword. Shouta had a sword for himself, small and slim, to which Bankotsu almost made a grunt at. He was careful not to get noticed.

He watched you spar for a while, every once in a while changing sides of whom would win. He was astonished by what Shouta was doing; both offence and defence. Compared to Bankotsu’s first impression of him, Hyura wasn’t lying when she said he’d been doing well in training.

After about an hour, you finally finished, so he stood up and quickly escaped, but not before seeing Shouta take your hand and kiss it. The faint blush he saw on your face infuriated him slightly, only because he also aimed to make you blush as much as possible. He wouldn’t tell you that, of course.

Now, he just has to wait for your birthday.

After someone tells him when it is.