Chapter 14

Hearing that the Shichinintai had gotten their pay from Hyura without demand of an explanation of what they did, for some reason, had you feeling a bit sad. This would mean they wouldn't be staying too long anymore. Although they annoyed you to no end, you hated them having to leave and somehow, they made the castle quite more lively, getting the quietest of workers to speak, finishing the oldest supplies of sake and helping the cooks get rid of them, making sure Hamaguri doesn't leave the castle again (though they did reduce the times you had to look for him). They were changing the spots without realising it.

You laid on your single bed, staring up at the ceiling where a red hand-painted dragon by yourself was. So whenever you went to bed, you would find it up there and reminded you to present courage,  bravery and an adventurous figure. You hugged a pillow to your chest, thinking of what you would do if they would stay and if they would leave. Surely it would be quiet again, with training the army and Shouta Arakida so he wouldn't cower, meeting with political leaders and noblemen, nights alone in your room...it kills now.

A knock on the shoji door interrupted your thoughts.

“Yozora! Do you want to have your lunch in there?”

“Yes.” you reply firmly in a normal volume, without moving. For one thing, eloping never came across your mind.

The doors slid open, letting the light from the hallway land into your room, where only one candle was lit dimly in the corner.

“Buddha, it’s awfully depressing in here.” Akira mutters, jerking her head towards the candle. The curtains were closed as well so it seemed as if there was no one at all in the rectangular room. “Is there something you’re comfortable in telling me?”

You sat up in bed swiftly, eyes on the tray of sashimi and seaweed the black-haired cook had in her hands. You bite your lip as you thought about it for a moment before shaking your head in denial. “No. Just tired from the mission.”

“Okay then. You know that new captain Shouta mentioned you at dinner last night.” Said Akira, placing the tray on your bedside table. “Hoping you would like his new attitude.”

Hearing this, you furrowed your eyebrows tightly together and eyed Akira. “What?”

“He’s changed a bit since you had lunch with him, apparently.” Akira replied, sounding slightly excited. “Actually more mature now.”

“Better be a good change.” You said flatly, reaching out for a small piece of salmon with chopsticks. “Last time I saw him, he looked like he belonged at the orphanage.”

“That’s mean, Yozora.” Akira giggled, an action you didn’t do often, shoving her hands into the pockets of her apron. “Well, enjoy. I still have to prepare food for Ruka.”

At that, the girl left. Unsure of the brightness of the room which also affected your eating time, you snapped your fingers and six more candles scattered around the room lit up, blue-orange flames instantly appear.

You felt as though you are simply attached to Bankotsu (of course, he couldn’t know that) and had to break it off with him before anything serious or emotional occurs between you. But you had half a mind that he is beginning to grow on you in just over a week.

Unsure, you had to face them sooner or later.

THIRD PERSON

“Cheers!”

Five of the Shichinintai collided their sake cups in joy and accomplishment just after getting the money from Hyura as promised. She seemed really satisfied by them, no regret or consideration of the past feud. Although Bankotsu demanded that Hyura begin to pay Yozora extra, especially for assisting them.