Chapter 20

“Yozora! Big, big day! Rise and shine!”

“Ugh! Shut up and go away!”

“Why so moody! It's your birthday!”

“I couldn't sleep last night...now get out of my room or I won't get up!”

“Mou! You'll just do the opposite!”

The morning ruckus was interrupted by Jakotsu. “Hey, hey! Let it easy on Yozora, Ruka-chan. It's her birthday after all.”

You did as you said, dressing into a pale pink hakamashita and a floral silk hakama. You let the braid loose in your hair, falling into loose curls. You pulled a small smile, liking the look of it. After making your bed, you left for the dining room, bracing for whatever was to come.

“Happy birthday, Yozora/Rara-chan/Housen-taichou!”

You sweatdropped at the variety of names as you stood at the door, having strings of ribbon thrown at you. You caught a particularly pretty one which was lilac with little white flowers painted on it. Smiling, you wrapped it around your wrist to keep later. Looking around, you noticed everyone in the castle was present, as well as several presents in the centre of the table, surrounded by plates of breakfast. Let's not forget the giant pink mochi at the head of the table where Hyura usually sits.

“What...the...hell...”

“That's your favourite, right, Yozora?” Jakotsu got into your face with his iconic smile of zeal. “We made one just for you.”

“Oh...thanks, I guess.” you mumbled, a faint blush appearing on your cheeks. “This is actually really nice. Thank you so much, everyone.”

“Yeah, yeah...sit down, Yozora!” Hyura exclaimed, pulling out a chair. “After breakfast, you can open your presents. Then you have the day to yourself.”

“Really?” you asked, sitting down.

“We all wish you a happy birthday, Big Sister.” Renkotsu bowed, Suikotsu, Jakotsu and Mukotsu doing the same behind him, which was weird to see since they usually thought higher of themselves than anyone else, other than their beloved Big Brother who wasn't around. Your chest tighten slightly, wondering why he wasn't around. Did he not care enough to join your birthday breakfast? Truth be told, Hyura made sure there was a birthday breakfast for every member of staff.

“Thank you, Renkotsu-san...and everyone else.”

“Anything for you, Yozora. Now, let's eat!”

Most of the gifts you have received were either kimonos, charms and sweets. There were also small weapons here and there like knives, tetsubishi (spikes) and...rope.

“For later when you travel.”

You left to keep the presents in your room, most to pack for later, if you needed them, that is. You did appreciate them, even though you weren't always so excited when it comes to birthdays, let alone your own. In the midst of folding away sheets and kimonos, you hear footsteps approaching your room.