Chapter 3

~*~

“And then Yozora went all red!”

“Young love!” Kenta yelled happily, drunk in the daylight, bursting into laughter with the rest of the staff who were there with you at tea in the staff’s lounge.

“Be quiet! It was a one-time thing!” you argued, scarlet in the face, up on your feet.

“That’s okay, Rara-chan, we still love you!” Kenta replied, following a hiccup. The laughter only got louder. What exactly was so funny about a 17-year-old mercenary ‘flirting’ with a 17-year-old female commandant?

You sat down back at your seat, an irk mark visible on your temple.

“What about you and Saika, Kenta?” you asked as a respond, practically fighting back.

“Epic fail! We are just friends.” Said Kenta, crossing his arms, although you could see a light blush on his wrinkled and numb cheeks.

“What’s going on?” Tsurigino asked as he slid the door open, closing it as he stepped in. Yay! – no bottle or girl!

“Our little Rara-chan is in love~”

You got pissed off again as threw a bowl of half-eaten oden at Kenta. Everyone in the room sweat dropped at your action; you have never been so annoyed.

“Are you, Housen-san?” asked Tsurigino, turning to you with a smug look. You respond with a look that says ‘Mind leaving me alone?’ and drank your tea.

“You don’t have to get embarrassed. I mean, Kisa and I...”

“Want to commit suicide together?”

“Wha-no!”

“Well, I was happy if it were true.”

“You’re so cruel! Kisa is so cute-“

“And empty-headed.”

“No, she’s not.”

“Yes, she is.”

“Do you have proof-Fine! We’ll change the subject! So...who is this guy?”

“The leader of the Shichinintai, Bankotsu.”

“Seriously? The killer of hundreds was who flirted with you?”

“Would I lie if my voice was this deep?”

“W-no...” Tsurigino mumbled. You sighed, standing up.

Later that night, you had trouble sleeping for some reason. It was probably still those confused feelings about ‘who Bankotsu is’. You ended waking up to warm milk with honey and sitting outside your room, feeling the cool night breeze on your skin, your side-braided turquoise hair swaying in the wind, facing west.

The question simply couldn’t escape your mind. You figured getting to know the boy more is the only way that can help for now.

“Couldn’t sleep?”

You weren’t surprise. You turn your head to the right, only to see the exact person you were thinking about. You smiled lightly and nodded, “You?”

“I haven’t even slept yet.” Bankotsu replied bluntly, approaching you. Your smile fell as you took a sip of your milk. “So you’re the commandant, huh? I’m surprised to know that a mere young woman is feared among her own soldiers.”

At that, you chuckled.

“You know something? You’re just being sexist. I am simply a 17-year-old individual who doesn’t intend to run off with some mercenary whom I have only known for a day.”