Chapter 7

“I’m what!?”

“Lower your voice, Yozora. It shouldn’t be that difficult to absorb. You’re simply going to accompany them to Gin’s castle whilst they deal with him.”

“How are they meant to ‘’deal’’ with whoever you talk about?”

“I don’t know – which is why I want you to keep a close eye on them.”

You pulled a light scowl at Hyura as she smiles normally. She had called you to the throne room that morning, and told you that you were going to follow the Shichinintai on their journey to Gin Kurota’s castle, who is the daimyo Kenta had said Hyura was arguing with. Hyura didn’t fully trust the Band of Seven, so she called for you to watch over them. It was weird...especially after your bored time the previous night; what were you meant to do throughout the journey then? At least you could argue with them. No one argues back with the mighty Yozora!

“Oh! By the way, our new captain has arrived. He would like to meet you at lunch today in the second sitting room. His name is Arakida Shouta, nearly 15. He is simply adorable!”

“Better keep Ruka away from him though. Is he a child prodigy then? Being younger than 16.” Hyura nodded.

“I agree on the Ruka bit.” you heard Hyura said with a giggle before you closed the doors behind you. Fun...a day to go through without training, a captain to meet, seven psychotic men to watch.

So you had the weekend off, nothing really to do. Except for (maybe) visiting Saika and Yui, pet Hamaguri...uh, something or other. You had no reason to waste your time with Bankotsu and the others. At least this new captain might be nicer than the others. Less...hopeless. And less...sadistic. And less...brutal. The complete opposite of the Shichinintai. That would have been the easier way to say it.

In other words, you lost a bit of interest after that night they invited you out. But then again, don’t judge a book by its cover, and so far, you’ve only read the first pages of the book so maybe you could still give them a chance.

“Hey!”

You snapped out of your thoughts and looked behind to see one of the last people you wanted to see.

“Sorry about last night. Guess we were all too absorbed into the drinking competition that we barely paid any attention to you.” Said Jakotsu with a smile, stretching his arms. You couldn’t help but soften at him.

“It’s fine. I guess socializing just isn’t my thing.” You said as you let Jakotsu join your side.

“Come to think of it, how did you end up here at the castle with a daimyo?” asked Jakotsu.

“I was raised here.”

“Are you someone’s daughter or something?”

You close your eyes, trying to avoid the unpleasant memories of 12 years ago.

“I...don’t really want to talk about it.”

“Oh come on!” Jakotsu grinned. “You can tell me anything! We’re friends, right?”

You sighed, “Sorry, Jakotsu. Maybe you can ask Hyura to tell you instead.”

“Painful past?”

You nodded.

“Guess there’s no helping it.” Jakotsu sighs, looking up. “Sorry.”

“It’s fine. No one is to be blamed for it.”

~FF~

“So...you’re Arakida Shouta?”

“Hai! Nice to meet you, Housen-san!”