Chapter 1

January 5, Thursday

For some reason, you felt as if you knew this boy from the past. As if, that is. You weren’t actually sure, but in yourself, you felt as if he was a ‘friend’, returning from a broken memory.

“And this is Jakotsu, Suikotsu, Mukotsu and Renkotsu. I doubt that you’ll have problems which is which, seeing as you remember the names of the whole army individually.” Said Hyura (Nishizawa’s first name), chuckling at the thought.

“Seriously? She remembers all the names of the soldiers?” asked Jakotsu in surprise. Yup, you remember their identities already. Hyura giggled and nodded.

“I’ll give you a tour around the castle later after lunchtime, seeing as you will be staying her for a while.

Yozora, if it’s alright, can you temporarily change the training hours earlier for a week? Around 7 to 8, then 4 to 5, maybe.”

“Sure…” you said softly, not even bowing and walking out the room, still feeling uncomfortable with the leader’s presence, making your way to the training grounds, only to see most of the soldiers knocked out, some oversleeping, some sitting down, bewildered looks on their faces. One thing though; they were all the high-ranked soldiers.

The training grounds were divided from the castle in a large building, at least half the size of the castle, with a bridge and a path itself to the building. However, there is also small piece of land used for outdoor training.

“And they say ‘rise and shine’…” you muttered, in S-Mode already. You simply hated lazy sluggards. Dark aura surrounded your background, as you stood there, arms crossed, waiting for someone to confess their excuse.

“My deepest apologies, Housen-taii.” One of the soldiers, who was practically the only one wide awake and shooting arrows with a recurve bow. This one was probably Jiro. You sighed, in exhaust, knowing your schedules are definitely too early.

“No.” you said straight. “I have to tell the lot of you something, but I need…everyone awake!”

You shouted that last part at the top of your lungs, causing the gardener on the other side of the castle to jump. Unknown to you though.

At that moment, all the soldiers flinched and jumped themselves, and saluted as they stood up straight, staying where they were, and apparently, shivering as well. But you knew they all had their attention on you. High-ranked, yet the opposite of hard-working. Well, sometimes.

“Starting on Monday, for one week, your training times will be temporarily changed. Morning sessions for all ranks will be from 7 to 8, whilst the same goes for evening sessions which will last from 4 to 5. Do you get that!?” you yelled with an annoyed (yet unserious looking) look.

“HAI!” they all responded in unison. You sighed once more before saying at last, “You can stop now if you want to.”

At that, you left to indoors. Although that was a rather harsh-sounding announcement, the soldiers looked at each other in thought, before they all divided themselves and continued on training. Even though they can be unpunctual, they still thought of your safety and protection…in secret.

You went to look for Ruka, who would probably be in the bathhouse that is another building from the castle, twice the size of the training grounds, where soldiers or any staff would go to relax when they are allowed to. Ruka is a rather immature and flirty one; she would often be seen trying to hook up with the new good-looking low-ranked beginner soldiers, to whom you have to pay a whole lot of attention, both to bring them to their potential in fighting and awareness of Ruka.