Morning Of The Reapings

Katniss' POV

I am awoken by the chirping of the morning bird outside my window. I turn over to see Peeta's ocean blue eyes gazing into my own putting a smile on my face

"good morning honey," Peeta said in a hushed soothing voice.

"Morning" I replied kissing him on the forehead before leaving the room to get ready for the upcoming reaping later that day. I turn on the shower and hot steaming water pours out over my delicate skin and soaks through my glossy brown hair. After 10 minutes of washing myself in the luxury of the shower water, I turn off the water, dry off and change into a soft fluffy dressing gown. As I open the door to the bathroom two beaming faces as smiling up at me despite the events coming up later that day.

"Hello, Mommy," says the happy little 7-year-old. His name is Finn. He has ashy blonde hair just like his father but got my grey seam eyes. We named him Finn after my old friend Finnick from the 75th Hunger Games, but we concluded that it might be best if we called him Finn instead. Standing next to Finn is 11-year-old Rose. She has glossy brown hair like my own and ocean blue eyes similar to Peeta's.

"Morning Mom" Rose says to me in a calming voice.

"Hi kids, I've laid out your reaping clothes in the bedroom and your shoes are downstairs, ok?"

"ok mom," they say together running into the bathroom to get washed. I walked down the stairs to find Peeta toasting some of his bread from the bakery and spreading homemade strawberry jam over them made from my hand-picked strawberries. The smell was irresistible as I walked into the kitchen unnoticed. I creep up behind Peeta and wrap my arms around him and rest my head on his shoulder.

"Oh, hello Kat, are the kids awake?" he asks a little surprised by the way a made him jump.

"Yes they are now, they should be down in a minute, they just getting dressed into their reaping clothes," I reply sitting at the dining table and pouring a glass of orange juice. "They don't seem too upset regarding the reaping or the 4th Quarter Quell." I say quietly so the kids didn't hear from upstairs."

"Good" he replies taking a seat at the table After placing 2 plates of toast in front of himself and me. "But they are going to need our help today more than ever because remember this quarter quells there is going to be 8 tributes reaped instead of 2."

"Oh yeah..." I say casting my mind back to thy dreadful day when President Paylor announced the twist for the 100th Hunger games, reminding the rebels that people of all ages risked their life's in the rebellion, there would be 8 tributes, two 5 - 11-year-olds, two 12 - 18-year-olds, two 19 - 49-year-olds and two 50 - 85-year-olds. When it got down to 48 tributes they would put in a special twist into the games this would be put into action until the very end of the games."At least we will be mentors for them if one does go in" I say with a tear in my eye.

"It ok they won't, they can't..." Peeta says soothingly to be trying his best to comfort me.

At that point, both Rose and Finn walk into the room dressed in their reaping clothes. Rose was dressed in a blue skirt with and white blouse and Finn wore a white shirt with black trousers.

"Oh don't you too look beautiful," I say kneeling to talk to them. "I wish I looked as beautiful as you both do!" They both put their arms around and it was a moment I wished could last forever.

"Here are your breakfast kids, why don't you go and change to Kat we need to leave soon," Peeta says making Rose and Finn some breakfast.

"Ok," I say quietly and walk up the stairs in deep thoughts. What if Rose and Finn were picked for the very first reaping? They wouldn't stand a chance. What if they are left with a bunch of teenage careers if they do go in? I tried to erase all these terrible thoughts from my head as I opened the wardrobe down and peered through all the beautiful dresses, Cinna had made for me. I pick out my white dress from my Victory tour. It's plain and simple for reaping. Once dressed I brush my teeth and head back downstairs to find Peeta washing up and the kids staring outside at the many people walking past.

"We better get going don't want to be late, do we?" I say grabbing to keys to the house, putting the Mockingjay pins in my pocket and attaching the locket from Peeta around my neck.

"Ok, come on kids let's go," Peeta says with a sniffle and I can see and tear slipping down his face.

"Peeta" I call clutching hold of his arm. "Don't worry the kids will be fine, I won't let the Capitol hurt them, I promise." I give him a small kiss on and cheek and give him and hug before leading him outside and locking the door behind me.