--18-- For Shaianne

||

Shaianne's POV:

I twirled my light brown hair between my fingers as I waited for my friend to pick me up for the Hot Chelle Rae concert. There wasn't much to twirl since I had pretty short hair. I began pacing back and forth across the floor as I continued waiting for him.

"Where is he?" I groaned when I looked at the clock by my front door, "He said he'd be here by six..."

I was starting to get worried that maybe he got into an accident. Or that maybe he was totally backing out.

I got startled when someone began knocking at the door. It had to be him. So I put on my jacket and answered the door. Sure enough, it was him.

"You're late, Zayn," I said as I closed the front door behind me.

"Yeah, I know, Shaianne and I'm sorry. I was...getting something ready..."

I raised an eyebrow at him.

"It's a surprise, Shaianne," Zayn said with a smile.

Just hearing that word got me curious. I loved surprises...especially the ones from Zayn. He and I were pretty good friends. Like we are extremely close. We tell each other everything. I feel safe when I'm with him.

"C'mon, Shaianne. We don't want to be late."

Zayn had grabbed onto my hand and pulled me to his car. Him holding my hand was normal for us. He said he likes it because it felt right. And it felt right to me too...even though we were only friends. Okay, I have to admit that I have looked at Zayn as more than a friend...but that was so long ago.

"Shaianne!"

I shook my head quickly and looked at Zayn.

"We're here. Get out of the car," he laughed.

This spacing out and going off into lala land happened frequently...especially when I'm around Zayn. I'm sure it means something but I never really put too much thought into it...because Zayn is my friend.

The concert was amazing; I had an great time. And I assumed Zayn would have too if he hadn't just been smiling and staring at me the entire time I was making a complete fool of myself.

"So where are we going now?" I asked when we were back in Zayn's car.

It was dark out and I was hoping that he wasn't bringing me home yet.

"Well it's your surprise. You know how you've always said you wanted to take a moonlight walk on the beach?"

My eyes widened. I always pictured doing that with a guy I liked...but I guess Zayn will have to do...since I did have feelings for him.

"You're really taking me to the beach? But aren't they closed now?"

Zayn chuckled as he pulled up to a parking spot at the beach.

"Shaianne...live a little. The worst that could happen is the coast guard telling us to get off the beach."

I guess being a rebel wouldn't hurt; I mean I did say that I wanted this.

We got out of his car and he threw me over his shoulder right away.

"Zayn! Put me down!" I giggled as I slapped my hands into his back.

"I wonder if the water is cold..."

I just knew he had a smirk on his face.

"Don't you dare, Malik. If you drop me into the water, I'll hate you forever!"

He had started walking towards the water as I continued slapping his back.

"But forever is such a long time. You'll eventually miss me, and come crawling back."

"Nope. I'll hate you forever."

I was obviously joking but I somehow didn't think he took it that way this time. He had slowed his walking to a stop but didn't let me on my feet.

"Zayn...it was a joke. I could never--" but I wasn't able to finish my sentence for the boy that was holding me had dropped me into the water.

I instantly screamed from how cold the water was.

"ZAYN! WHAT THE HELL?"

I watched as he bent over laughing. Oh so he thought this was funny? Well, I'll show him funny. I grabbed onto his shirt and tugged him hard to where he himself fell into the water. Now it was my turn to laugh. He was pretty mad at first but then he joined in laughing with me.

"I love the color of your eyes..." Zayn whispered when he stopped laughing.

My laughter slowly came to a stop when I realized how close Zayn was to me. He brought his hand to my face and brushed some of my hair that was stuck to my face from the water.

"I love how your face scrunches up when you laugh..."

What was Zayn doing? He couldn't like me more than a friend...could he?

"I love how you think I don't notice you staring at me..."

I felt my entire body shiver when Zayn put his hands on either side of my neck; they were cold from the water.

"Shaianne..." His voice was so soft now.

"Y-yes, Zayn?"

But he didn't give me an answer but more of an action. It surprised me that even though his hands were cold, his lips weren't. His lips were surprisingly warm which made me just melt into him. Was a first kiss supposed to feel this way? Were you supposed to hear the fireworks and feel like you were floating? If so...I was definitely hearing those fireworks and feeling weightless.

When he pulled back, he stared into my eyes as if he was waiting for me to react. But the thing is, I didn't know how to react. That was the biggest surprise he could ever give me; I was definitely speechless.

"I love you, Shaianne. I have for awhile actually. And I thought that since we had this "date" tonight...it was the best time to tell you..."

A smile spread across my lips. So he did like me. Correction; he loved me.

"I love you too, Zayn," I said with ease.

I did love him. I guess I just needed this little push to finally realize it.

"I should probably take you home now..."

I didn't want to go home, but I was getting tired and it was pretty late.

"Yeah..." I yawned, "I guess you should."

In a swift movement, I was in Zayn's arms again and he was walking back to his car. Leaning my head against his chest, I slowly closed my eyes.

"Zayn..." I said probably too soft for his ears.

"Yes, love?" So he did hear me.

"Can you sing me to sleep? I know you sing and well to be honest I love your voice..." I yawned again.

"Of course I can."

When we got back to his car, he carefully placed me inside then got in himself. He didn't start the car, but he did start singing.

"You know I'll be your life, your voice, your reason to be. My love, my heart is breathing for this moment in time. I'll find the words to say, before you leave me today..."

And with his voice singing to me, I fell asleep with a smile on my face.