Chapter 11: Fresh Start

*Unedited*
☠Alec's POV☠
"And that's why I'm broken," Riley says, another sob escaping her lips, I wipe her tears away with my fingers. I was just told a very detailed story about her and Toby, and I hate him for what he did to her, I'm glad she told me. "Your not broken just fragile," I say, she smiles, "So what about just now, what happened?" I ask, she rolls her eyes and sighs, laying back on the bed, "My parents are getting a divorce," She says my eyes widen, "Riley I'm so sorry," I say sitting up, "It's okay really it needed to happen the past couple years have been really bad with dad he has his good moments and bad ones." Riley says sighing, another tear sloping from her eye, "You really are too strong for your own good you know that?" I say looking down at her, she looks at me, "What?" She asks, "Yeah I would've never though any of this could've happened to you and plus don't pretend like I didn't see that tear," I say looking away, "Your to observative you know that?" Riley says, "I don't even know what that means," I say playing it off, "It means-" "I know what it means," I say cutting her off, I look down at her stomach her shirt lifted up, "Is that where he-" "yeah," she says I poke it, "It healed nicely," it was no more than just a spot that wouldn't tan, "It did but it's a permanent reminder of us," she says pulling her shirt down, "Can I tell you something?" I ask her, "Yes anything," she says, "It's not like I just told you my life's story," she says smiling, "Are you from Jamaica?" I ask, her eyebrows furrow and she sits up, "Because Jamaican me horny," she bursts out laughing and ends up on the floor I just watch her, then she gets really serious and I'm scared. "Are you from the Yukon?" She asks me it's my turn to be confused, "Because Yukon go fuck yourself," she says pointing to me when she stands up, "Now get out," she says, "How do you do that?" I ask, "What?" She asks pushing me out her window, "Come up with comebacks so quickly?" I ask when I'm out I go over to my house, "I just do," she says, "Good night Alec," she says closing her window. When I get back into my room I realize it's 10:30 I decide to just go to bed.
❤️Riley's POV❤️
After I finished telling Alec everything he told me a horrible pick up line and I replied with a comeback, now I was freaking out because it's 10:30 and I forgot to make dinner, I head out of my room and into moms. There are boxes everywhere, "Hey mom," I say shyly, "Hey chicky," Mom says she sounds so much happy for some reason, "Did you guys eat?" I ask, "Oh yeah we did I heard you talking Alec and decided I should just let you be," mom says, "There's a thawed out lasagna thing waiting for you," mom said, "Thanks mom," I said to her, "No problem I talked to your Grandma and Grandpa, and they know about everything so this weekend we are going to see them, you'll have to drive out ther first because I have a meeting to discuss everything about the divorce but, I'll be ther just after 7," mom adds smiling, now I understand where I get my strength from mom. I wrap her in a hug, and start to sob into her shoulder, she's shocked but hugs me back. "What has happened to us?" I ask, "We used to be so happy and perfect and the last few years we fell apart," I say, she pulls back to look at my face her face as well as mine is stained with tears, "I love you Riley and we are going to be okay, your father won't get to see you guys and everything else is going to be okay, I'll try to keep the house, and other then just us and all of his things gone we'll be okay, okay?" Mom asks, "Okay," I say, "Now get some food in you and get to bed, school tomorrow!" Mom shouts going into her washroom I do as she says. I climb back into my bed after eating changing and everything I set my alarm clock, and can't fall asleep. I look at my starry ceiling, today has been very very stressful for me, dad is gone, Toby is coming back, Alec knows everything, Mom has to get a higher paying job. Everything is going to be way different, I try to sleep but I just can't so I play on my phone and finally, decide to call the devil. I walk over to my window, "Alec?" I ask, "Huh?" He asks, he's awake too, "I can't sleep," I say, "Me either," he says, "Why can't you?" He adds, "Alec my parents are getting a divorce, Toby Sameson is coming back, I told you everything and I don't think I can trust you, and I think D-" I cut myself off he doesn't need to know everything, "Riley you can trust me, trust me I would never do anything to hurt you," he says, "That doesn't even make sense," I state, "I know," Alec says, "That's why you love me," he says, "Ew oh my god gross," I say, "Oh come on Devin you know you want me," he says smiling, "Okay and now I suddenly became sleepy goodnight," I say walking over to my bed, "Avoiding the statement classic knowing she likes me," Alec says, I text him the finger, and he texts back a smiley face then I go to sleep.
****
Wednesday morning I wake up dreading the school day to come, I move throughout the house of slowly. Getting into the shower taking up time, getting dressed taking forever to find an outfit, taking forever to do my makeup messing up many times, then slowly storming down the stairs to get a decent breakfast, "Hey chicky your up early," mom says, "What?" I ask looking at the time, "7:20," I groan, "What's up?" Mom asks, "I don't want to go to school," I groan again, "Well your going," Mom says placing eggs on a plate. Breakfast this morning is toast eggs and bacon yummy, mom looks tired and stressed, after eating I decide to go play on Tumblr or something. "Riley," Alec groans, "Go back to bed," He says groaning at the video playing, "Well someone's grumpy," I say, "Ugh now I'm up I hate you," he says standing I just happen to look up and see his shirtless back walk out of his bedroom, I smile. I go back to my Tumblr feeling all warm and gushy he's so hot, but and ass whole and a man whore and and idiot and not very good at school. Except he was okay in school. About ten minutes later Alec walks back into his room and I strain to keep my eyes on my screen, "So Devin," Alec starts I know he's trying to get me to look at him, "I was thinking I could take you to school," Alec says, this makes me look up, "What?" I ask, "Well you know because your so stressed with everything I thought it would be nice to not drive," Alec says grabbing something from the drawer, "Don't you own a motorcycle?" I ask, "Yeah so?" He asks putting on his shirt, "I don't know," I say, "Oh come on Riley live a little," Alec says, his eyes daring me to. He opens the towel, "Oh god Alec! At least tell me when you're going to do that!" I scream lunging off of my day bed, "Relax Riley jeez I've got gonch on," Alec says, I stay laying on the floor, "And plus don't act like you didn't want to see it," Alec says, "No way do I want to see that," I say, "Oh come on," he says, "I'll meet you outside in five," I say. I don't realize my purse is wrapped around my feet and I come crashing to the floor face first, "Shit!" I scream, "Riley! Riley are you okay?!" Alec screams my bedroom door swings open, "Riley are you okay?" Mom asks taking in my dead structure on the ground, "Yes I'm fine," I say, "Young man what are you doing in my daughters room?" Mom asks Alec who is now standing behind me, "Well I was coming to see if-" "No excuses I need to speak with you, Riley would you mind waiting down stairs?" Mom asks, both mine and Alec's jaws drop to the floor, oh this should be hilarious mom is probably giving him the sex talk. I slowly nod and leave my room closing the door behind me. I sneak downstairs and strain to hear their conversation, "Mrs. Devin I can do that, I would love to do that," Alec says, oh shit our last names are we still Devins? When mom comes down the stairs she goes into the kitchen, "Mom are we still Devins?" I ask, "You are whatever you want to be, I am Judy Devin your father is now Jeffrey Steven and the kids are whatever they want to be. You are what you want," Mom says, I nod, "Well I gotta go," I say jumping out the door, it shouldn't be to hard to loose dad I mean he was always gone and he was so rude all the time, well not all the time but, I've seen this moment coming for awhile now. But sometimes we were really happy together, but what types of parents stop sleeping together? I love dad but after everything something needs to change and maybe that's just my perspective now and it'll change despite my feelings. "Hey Riley, you coming?!" Alec shouts, I hesitate then stand and walk over towards him, "Oh Riley," Alec says softly before wrapping me in an unexpected hug, he wipes something from my face and shows me my own tears my wetness, I didn't even realize I was crying. "Here," Alec said handing me a helmet, he sticks it on my head and does it up, before swinging his leg over his bike, "What about you?" I ask, "Me what?" Alec asks, his hair is styled perfectly and he looks so flawless, "What are you going to where?" I ask, "I would rather you be safe then me you know if-" "Riley stop get on," Alec says, I sigh and shake out my body before swinging my leg over and sitting down, "Where do I...?" I start to ask, Alec grabs my hands and places them on his lower stomach, "Oh," I say, I try relaxing my hands but I can't, Alec starts the engine and it roars to life, I feel my heart increasing slowly, he kicks up the stand and we roll out of the driveway. Once on the road I grab his stomach more tightly suddenly afraid, and his muscles tighten at my gesture, I love it so much. My hair flying in the wind, and my eyes starting to water because of the wind about two blocks from the school I start telling Alec to stop. "Alec stop!" I shout, he pulls over, "What's wrong?" He asks, "I can't go in there with you," I say, "What? Are you crazy Riley?" He asks, "I'm afraid your reputation is going to be ruined if you be seen by a loser girl that freaks because her ex boyfriend is coming back to Lindale. And a girl who freaks out at-" "And a girl who is so strong and beautiful and smart, a girl who is so caring and still makes others laugh even though we life is so fucked up. And if those fucking students can't not screw off because they don't know the whole fucking story then I'm telling you I will make them wish they didn't say a damn word to you Riley now get on," Alec says he looks really pissed off, he called me beautiful and smart I start to melt, "Are you sure?" I ask, "Get on Riley," Alec says chuckling, so I do I get on and we ride into school together many students looking at us judgtngly, I start to get really worried about Alec as I take off my helmet, I knew this was a bad idea. It's not until Alec grabs my hand and starts to pull me to the school that I'm shocked, why is he doing this? People are going to think we're a thing, "Or people are going to think that they had better not come within a foot of you," Alec says its like he's reading my mind, I walk to my locker, and when I look down the hallway, that's when I see something that breaks my heart even more. Dylan standing there a girl leant against the lockers, his lips locked to her, and even though I knew this would happen I knew we weren't anything special I still am upset. "Hey Dylan!" I scream storming toward him forgetting the task at hand, he pushes away from his girlfriend, my hand comes across his face hard, "Why don't you let a girl know before that it's going to be a one night stand, I thought we were something," I say, he looks shocked, and I wonder if that's what I looked like after my father, "Riley I'm sorry, I thought you knew-" "knew what Dylan that all your relationships are one night stands? I thought you were a good caring guy and not a man whore," I said, "Woah Riley what's going on?" Alec says grabbing my forearm, "Nothing we just finished here," I say looking at Dylan then turning and walking away, I'm tired of being the weak little girl, now I'm the strong girl that doesn't get hurt, and is super hot. Everything is changing, and soon, I need to change, "Riley please an we talk about this?" Dylan shouts, "No Dylan we can't talk about this," I say walking to my locker and putting in the combination. I open my locker, "Want to tell me what just happened over there?" Alec asks, "No I do not," I say grabbing my stuff and heading to class slamming my locker. "I do want you to take me to the salon after school," I say, "I need a change," I say, "A fresh start," I say sighing loudly I take a seat in my usual seat and pay more attention to the classes, I'm going to change from the smart quiet girl to the smart badass Tiana watch out. Hell yeah. "A fresh start?" Alec question, "Alec my parents are getting a divorce, Toby Sameson is coming back, Dylan is just and asswhole, with Toby back I need everything to change from the girl I once was to a new girl. With old routines comes old memories and I can't do it anymore!" I shout, he looks taken back, "Ok whatever you say just don't change too much at once," Alec says, and that was the wrong thing to say, "Screw off Alec," I say as I take my seat. I pay attention to the teacher as usual and the bell finally goes.
****
☠Alec's POV☠
Riley's request earlier in the day surprised me to say the least but, I did as asked and was now playing on my phone waiting outside the salon the door opened and I looked up. Another costumer leaving this one had black hair and blue streaks, she looked familiar but I couldn't tell from where, she smiled at me and I waved back before going back to my phone, shit I completely forgot. I had a sex date with Tiana at five I ran towards the door, "Hey where you going?" The girl asked, it was only when I looked back at her again that I noticed it was Riley, "Riley?!" I asked astonished holy shit, her light brown hair was gone and now in place was the black, "Well what do you think?" She asked spinning around, "I....I.." I said, "Speechless that's what I was going for," Riley says smiling brightly, "Wow," Alec says, "Um anyways can we go I have-" "A place to be fucking somebody, sure if you want," Riley said, "Yeah," I said blushing, "You know I never see you blush," Riley says poking my cheek, and walking over to the motorbike. I feel stunned for a moment, "So what's the point of this again?" I ask, "A fresh start," she says, "I feel like there's something more than just a fresh start," I say, and I do maybe it's something to do with Toby? "There is more I'm hoping Toby won't recognize me and..." She says, "And what?" I ask as we drive out of the small strip mall, "And well I want to take Tianas position...." She says, "Why Tiana?" I ask curious, "Well because she was the one who cheated on me she was also the one who told Tony to stab me or else everyone would know the baby wasn't an accident but, at the time no one knew." Riley says sighing, I feel guilty because if Riley finds out I'm going to 'hang' with Tiana it could ruin our friendship forever. When I get home I run inside, I can't do this to Riley not after I knew who it is, I text Tiana,
Me: Can't do today sorry
Tiana: Fine then tomorrow and it's still early Alec
Me: you know I'm kind of booked all this week
Tiana: if not this week then this week, if you don't want me Rinder I know I can do sooo much better
Me: you can't say that with a straight face Tiana
Tiana; gtg catch you later Rinder
I have to finish this last time with Tiana, I must to show her that she can't handle more than me.
❤️Riley's POV❤️
My hair is dyed black and now I stand in the full body mirror staring at my image, I look different way different, but this is the new Riley. I can't back out now, I was thinking I could either be badass Riley or popular Riley I guess we'll have to see which goes better. Or I could be popular Riley and that would be pretty badass to everyone else. Next I needed to work on the confidence part of it I need to not be as self-conscious. I can be confident at times like that time at the beach with the boys, or that time with Dylan at the party, I can be confident. Wardrobe for popular Riley, um all I really have is jeans and t-shirts. I know I have like three bins of clothes Sarah gave to me and those are fancy. I decide to call Sarah, "Hello?" Her voice asks, "Hi," I say, "Riles! How are you?" She asks, "Umm," What do I say? The old Riley would say the truth not too shabby, but the new Riley is different, confident. "Pretty good, hey can you come over?" I ask, "Yes I can, be there in ten minutes," she says hanging up. I text her and tell her to let herself in, when she gets here I hear her open the door and run straight upstairs. "Riley?" She asks opening the door, I sit on my bed staring at her, she stares back, "Riley is that-is that you?" She asks, I nod slowly, she comes over and grabs at my hair, "What do you think?" I ask, "I-i don't get me wrong I like it, it's just so different," Sarah says playing with it, "I need a change a fresh start, and it's time to give Tiana some payback, I want to take-" "Her position yeah!!" Sarah screams, she's been waiting for me to do this for years so I knew she would be game, "And I get to be a sidekick!" She shouts again, "Hence why the Sarah bins are out, I need you to help me look good," I say, "You already do but I can certainly do that!" She shouts clapping, she goes over to the bins and opens the top one she lifts it off the stack and puts it beside her, shoes and lots of them, she opens the second lid and pulls out a whole outfit with shoes, "Here you go," she says pushing it into my arms and turning me towards my bathroom. I slide the door shut as she gives me an enthusiastic smile. The outfit is cute and something I would like to wear, the shoes are black lace up wedges with plain black tights, the skirt is high waisted, black and beige with funky lines all over it and the top is plain black. The scarf is black and grey with more lines and designs, with a browny-black fake leather cardigan. I slowly slide open the door and walk out, "I like it," she says as I slowly spin around that's when I notice Alec sitting there and I promise myself not to turn around and hide myself I stand there. I am confident. I am confident. I am confident. I chant to myself his eyes graze over my body slowly, he nods and smiles in approval and the next outfit is pushed into my hands. That wasn't to bad, the next outfit has jeans and I love jeans. Brown wedges start then blue jeans, a plain white shirt, and yellow cardigan. It's cute I don't know if this works for me, I still open the door walk out and spin around. "I'm starting to think this whole idea is a very bad one," I say, "No no no it's not," Sarah assures me, "You know what I think?" Alec asks sitting up a little straighter and to be honest I'm a little scared, "What?" I ask biting my lip, he stands grabs my shoulders and sits me in his place, "This looks great I like the outfit, but you know what?" Alec asks, "What?" Sarah and I say at the same time we look at each other. "If you want to overthrow Tiana you have to take from her what she loves most," Alec says clapping, "Guys," He says, "And if you want guys, then you need to show off your boobs and your butt," Alec says, "Which both of those on both you fine ladies are good, you have the body Riley, now you need to flaunt it," Alec says, I blush, "Your wardrobe is fine, but I mean a click of heels that's what guys will look at, get some more V necks and short shorts, oh an skirts are good too and for leggings with skirts the fancy ones so that guys have to look at you," Alec says, wow nothing like how to get guys with Alec Rinder. "Sounds like we need to go shopping!" Sarah says clapping, "But we have two full bins of clothes," I say, "It's on me new is better, you coming Ace?" Sarah says then looking at Alec he nods, I change back into my jeans and t-shirt before following Sarah out the door. About 2 hours later and 6 outfits we head home, moms car is parked in the driveway, "I'm kinda scared to see what she thinks," I say biting my lip, "She'll be find she'll like it, have fun though," Alec says opening his door, I sigh again, and climb out. Opening the door, as I say a greeting to mom, "Oh hi Riley how w-" she cuts herself off when she turns around and sees me, "Riley?" She asks, "Yes it's me," I say, "Oh my god, oh I .......wow......it's so......." She struggles to find a word looking deeply at my hair, "Different," I say she nods pulling me over to the island, "Mom with everything going on I needed a change in style," I say holding up the bags, "Hair, maybe attitude," I say, "Your attitude is fine," she says, "And you didn't pay a dime for any of this," I reassure her, "I want to pay you back, I can understand that you needed something else with your dad, and Toby and everything," mom says sighing, she's cutting something up. "Ok well I'm glad you like it," I say, she nods and I run up to my room, "Well how'd it go?" Alec asks when I get upstairs, "Better than I thought," I say setting my things on the bed then sitting in my desk to study something fierce. "What happened with your hook up tonight?" I ask him, "Oh uh she couldn't," Alec struggles to say, "Hey tomorrow you should hit them with a bang, and then continue with it for a couple weeks." Alec adds straying from the subject, "So what do you suggest I wear?" I ask him, I hear him sigh then he climbs over into my room, he rummages through my closet, "Are you wearing the polka dot bra?" He asks, "Yes..." I say, "I could tell I knew it," Alec says, "Anyways that bra, this v neck and these jeans," Alec says pulling everything out some from the bag some from the closet. "Are you kidding I'll look like a monster," I say laughing at the things he pulls out, "These jeans and a really low V neck Riley seriously your ass looks amazing in these jeans," Alec says, I blush, "Seriously stop," I say, "Plus Sarah already picked out my first outfit so bam," I say turning back to my work. He groans and leaves, I smile victory.