7 Deadly Sins You Should Run From

By: Kristen Clark

There are some things in life that are extremely tempting for me. There’s a Starbucks Coffee shop right down the street from where Zack and I live and their grande, decaf, no-whip mocha seems to call my name every time I drive by.

If there was some way to justify it as “healthy” and budget friendly, I would probably drink several cups a day.

Zack asked me a funny, but true question the other day.

“Why do all the unhealthy food and drinks have to taste so good?! Why can’t a carrot or a piece of celery have the same taste-bud-explosion experience? It would be so much easier to eat healthy!” I laughed at his comment and had to agree with him.

For most people, a carrot just doesn’t bring the same excitement as a delicious plate of french-fries.

Most people know that a carrot is better for them than a greasy french-fry; but we choose the french-fry over the carrot because it tastes yummier in the moment.

Right?

When it comes to others areas of our life we tend to do the same thing. We know we shouldn’t think lustful thoughts, but we do sometimes. We know we shouldn’t overeat, but we do sometimes. We know we shouldn’t watch certain movies, but we try to justify them.

Why are we drawn and enticed by things that are obviously wrong and bad for us? Why is it so hard to do the right thing and so easy to do the wrong thing?

Here’s why:

We are sinful creatures to our very core and are naturally drawn and enticed by anything that appeals to our flesh.

“For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do” (Galatians 5:17).

I recently learned a very interesting fact while I was reading the book of Proverbs.

Did you know that the Bible specifically mentions 7 sins that God absolutely hates?

They are listed in Proverbs 6:16-19. Over the years the term “ the seven deadly sins” has been coined based on some of the sins listed in that passage as well as other Scriptures throughout the Bible. Although the bible never specifically uses the term “deadly sins,” you will quickly see why they have obtained that famous name. The “seven deadly sins” are most commonly known as the following:

1. Wrath

2. Gluttony

3. Pride

4. Envy

5. Slothfulness

6. Lust

7. Greed

Even non-Christians are aware of these deadly sins.

Many consumer industries in our culture are strategically using the “seven deadly sins” to their profit and advantage.

How?

Think about it. If a food industry, movie company, music artist, glamour magazine, porn website, etc. can get you hooked on one of the seven sins, they succeed. They know you will keep coming back for more.

The sins are referred to as “deadly” for a reason – they are very, very addictive.

They draw you in with the promise of pleasure and fun, and always leave you “almost satisfied.” That is the key. If the pleasure from any of the seven sins had the ability to completely satisfy you, then sinful addictions wouldn’t exist. The sins keep you coming back for more and more until you are trapped and feel like you can’t live without it.

Can you see why they are so deadly?

The seven deadly sins will destroy your walk with God, your ability to be an effective Christian, your relationships, and much more. Of course all sins are a problem and pose serious threats to us as well, but this blog post is specifically looking at these 7 sins.

As Christian girls, we need to be on our guard against the daily temptations from these deadly sins.

Is there an area in your life right now where you are giving in to the some of the deadly sins? We need to carefully evaluate our social activities, media intake, personal thought life, and yes – even our diet for signs of these sins.

If you discover sinful habits in your life, then you need to confess your sin to God and replace the old sinful habit with a new and godly habit.

Our sinful culture is tempting, our enemy (satan) is prowling, and our flesh is weak.

BUT – we serve a huge and mighty God. He will give us the strength we need to resist any temptation that comes our way – even the 7 deadliest.

We have to do our part though.

As Christians, we must be on our guard, in God’s word, and praying everyday to stay strong. Now that you know what to look for, I pray you will be better equipped to guard your life and heart against the 7 deadly sins.

We also recommend reading solid Christian books to help you grow in wisdom and knowledge as a Christian girl. Check out this list of 10 Books That Will Change Every Girl’s Life.

How are you doing in the fight against these 7 deadly sins?

Are you currently giving into one or more of these sins on a regular basis?

How do you, personally, find victory over them? What advice can you give to help other Christian girls fight against these sins in their own lives?

Let’s continue this conversation in the comment section below!

Article from: GirlDefined