6 Resolutions For A Better Single Life This Year

By: Bethany Baird

Over the past couple of weeks I've seen several trending blog posts pop up on my social media feed with titles like, "10 Ways to Make Your Marriage Thrive This Year." Or "4 Steps to Become a Better Wife This Year."

I see those blogs posts and I love them.

I love that married men and women are working on their marriages and striving to make this year better than the last.

To be totally honest, I've even read some of these blogs and they're really good! They've given me some great things to work on and goals to shoot for (even as a single).

Just yesterday I saw another one of those "make your marriage better this year" blog posts and thought to myself..."Why are the married people getting all the good blog posts? What about us singles? I want to make this year better as well."

So that's exactly what this blog post is about. It's our turn to set goals, work hard, and make 2016 a year to become a better single for Christ.

It's time for us as single girls (and guys) to recognize that singleness isn't a season to "endure" until marriage, but a season to serve God to the best of our ability.

Here are 6 resolutions for a better single life this year:

1. Don't Complain

Complaining singles turn into complaining marrieds which turn into complaining parents. Nip that in the bud and learn to control your thoughts and words now. Focus on taking your thoughts captive and choose not to complain about your singleness (or whatever else it is that makes you unhappy).

2. Speak Words of Gratitude

I don't know about you, but this one is convicting for me. I tend to speak a lot of words and somehow manage to leave gratitude out of them. I would love to become a more grateful single and I'm sure you would as well. Thankfulness and gratitude are attractive qualities that look good on any girl. Make it a habit to speak words of gratitude each and every day.

3. Get Outside of Yourself

As a single speaking to other singles, we need to get outside of ourselves. We need to stop being so self-focused. We need to make a huge effort this year to focus on the needs of others. God has given us this season of flexibility to focus on serving Him in ways that married women can't. Let's take advantage of our single status this year and choose to focus on the needs of those around us.

4. Get the Bigger Picture

Deep inside most of us have a longing to find true love and officially graduate from single to married. While that desire in and of itself is good, it can easily become a major distraction and obsession if we aren't careful. Instead of focusing so much on "finding the one" and changing the title from Miss to Mrs., spend some time remembering the bigger picture in life – making Christ known and living for eternity. I highly *highly* recommend listening to these sermons by Francis Chan ( – ). This guy gets the bigger picture and will help you get it as well. Your single life will transform into an amazing and exciting season if you're willing to live with the eternal picture in mind.

5. Surround Yourself With Young and Old

I'm super blessed to come from a big family who loves being together. I'm constantly around super young kids and much older adults. Spending time around all ages is a great benefit, character growing process, and blessing to the single. If you have family near you, try your best to spend time with them. If not, make efforts to get involved with people outside of your "bubble" of friends. Get to know the older ladies in your church. Volunteer in the nursery. Spend time with all ages, not just other singles.

6. Commit to Growing

There is no better time to grow spiritually than right now. Make 2016 a year of learning and growing. Get some solid books and commit to read through them () Listen to free sermons online (e). Work through a Bible study (). I can't encourage you enough to set goals in this area. You will be amazed by how much incredible wisdom and truth there is once you start digging for it.

That's a wrap. 6 ways to make this year a better year for yourself (and those around you).

Which one of the six areas would you like to commit to improving?

Article from: GirlDefined