10 Ideas on How to do Your Single Years Well

By: Guest Blogger

I sat on my bed, the tears flowing. I'd done it again, interacted with a nice guy and wondered if it was "him."

I got home and realized how incredibly ridiculous I had been. I felt like an utter failure at this being "content in the single years" thing. A failure at keeping my focus where it belonged.

This could have been true of me two years ago or two months ago.

Hello, my name is Moriah, I live in Illinois where it's sometimes too cold and sometimes too hot. I have a wonderful family, a great church, and delightful friends.

There are a lot of things that contribute to making me me, but today it's most important for you to know that I'm single and that I need Jesus.

Some days I'm not very good at being single.

It can be hard because I so badly want my own special someone. I don't know how long I'll be single, but I do know that I want to do well in this season.

Two years ago I penned 10 things I wanted to be as a single.

I'm happy to share this recently updated list with you today in the hopes that it encourages you. Encourages you because you aren't alone in this journey. Encourages you because there's so much goodness and grace in this singleness even though it's hard.

This is my challenge to myself on this journey. If you have your own goals or lists I'd love to read them in the comments section below.

What Kind of Single I Want to Be

1. Dress well and dress your age.

Just because I don't have a man to dress well for is no excuse for me not to put time and energy into my appearance. Dress with class and style.

2. Play with kids.

Laugh, have fun, and chase the little ones around. Don't abandon the world of little tykes because you're too old or you don't want to face the pain that you don't have any little hands of your own to hold or any little hearts that are devoted to you with their "mommy" love.

3. Be full and overflowing with joy.

Singleness is not a reason to pout. It may be difficult at times but let gratitude in Christ fill you with joy and radiate that to others – life is much bigger than yourself.

4. Listen.

Always have time to listen to others, always. Listening is something you have the flexibility to do because you don't have a household of your own that you are responsible for. So, take the time and listen.

5. Talk to guys.

Don't abandon the world of males because none of them have married you. Treat them like brothers not prospective mates. Be genuine, kind, and appropriate.

6. Offer your time to others.

You have flexibility, time, and energy that others with families don't have. Volunteer someplace, help out busy moms, give of your time.

7. Minister.

Use your gifts, talents, and skills for the kingdom. You may not currently be a wife and mother as you so desired, but you still have an investment to make.

8. Believe you have a purpose.

God's called you to live for Himself, even if it's in a way other than you dreamed. God is using you. Know it, live it, because it's true.

9. Continue to learn.

You're never finished and you're never too old. You love learning, enjoy the process. Take a class, read a book, learn from a friend, etc.

10. Love life.

Life is a gift no matter what it looks like or how it's shaped, so savor the moments.

Wrapping it up.

We as single girls need all the encouragement we can get. What is one goal that you can set for yourself as a single? Feel free to steal any of mine.

Article from: GirlDefined