Join The 7 Day GirlDefined Prayer Challenge

By: Bethany Baird

Over the past few years I’ve seen God at work in my life in incredible ways. I feel like I’ve had a front row seat to witnessing God answer prayers in my life and in the lives of those around me. Looking back I now realize that God has always been at work, I just haven’t been paying close enough attention.

When I began seriously praying and taking all of my cares before the Lord, I finally had eyes to see what He was doing. I began to clearly see Him answer my prayers and I knew He was active in my life.

Here are just a few examples of ways that He has answered me over the past few years.

When God answers with a no…

Several years ago I was in a serious relationship. The relationship was at a point where I needed to make a big decision. I needed to know if this was the man God had for me and I needed to know quick. I didn’t want the relationship to linger on and on if the guy wasn’t the one for me. I did the only thing I knew to do, I prayed like crazy. God quickly made the answer very clear to me and my family. His answer was “no.” As hard as it was, I ended the relationship. Looking back I see how faithful God was during that time. Even though the “no” was hard, it truly was God’s best answer.

When God answers with a yes…

This may seem like a silly example, but it was a huge lesson to me. I was with my younger sister at a coffee shop. Our time finished up and we walked out to the car. I cranked the key and the car wouldn’t start. I cranked and cranked and cranked and cranked. Still nothing. After several minutes of trying, I stopped and said “we should pray and ask God to help the car start.” I put the key back in the slot and took a deep breath. I looked at my sister and then cranked the key. Vroom vroom!! The car started like nothing was ever wrong. I was totally convicted. God was ready to help me all along, I just hadn’t stopped to ask. Good lesson for me and my sister.

When God answers with a not right now…

Since the age of 14(ish) I’ve been praying for my future husband. I’ve been praying that God would give him a passion for God and a desire to serve Him with all of his heart, soul, mind and strength. I’ve been praying that God would do the same in me as well. I’ve also been praying that God would help the two of us “find” each other so that we can get married! God has been faithful in my life. He’s clearly answered with a “not right now.” Despite how much I would love to be married, God has made it clear (because I’m not married) that now isn’t the right time. God is faithful and will bring my future husband in His perfect timing, not my own.

When God does the impossible…

A few months ago Kristen and I decided to pray for the impossible. We prayed that somehow, someway, and someday God would provide a way for us to speak at the True Woman Conference. The two of us practically laughed when we began praying that prayer. It seemed like an impossible request. We had no way of knowing that God was up to something crazy amazing. One day, out of the complete blue, we received an email from Mary Kassian (author, speaker and an amazing woman!!) asking if the two of us would join her in speaking at True Woman 2016. Shock, amazement, and total awe of God was our response. Sometimes God does the impossible

Be a woman whose life is defined by prayer.

I want to challenge you to be a woman who truly and earnestly seeks the Lord in prayer. I want you to be a woman who lives out, 1 Peter 5:7 which says, “Casting all your care upon Him; for He careth for you.”

Through prayer we have been given access directly to the God, King ,and Creator of the universe. We have the opportunity to pray to Him at any moment we wish.

I’ve personally been so encouraged, blessed and challenged in my own faith through prayer. When you see God at work through prayer, you can’t help but be changed. And that is why I’m challenging you to become a woman of prayer. I want you to have an intimate and close relationship with your Savior. I want prayer to become something that defines who you are as a person.

The 7 Day GirlDefined Prayer Challenge.

I’m inviting each one of you to join me on a 7 day prayer challenge. From today until next Friday (July 1st), I’m challenging you to spend at least 10 minutes a day in prayer. I want you to take specific time out of your day to make prayer a priority.

If you’re not exactly sure how to pray, here is a great place to start.

A basic outline for how to pray.

1. Praise

Begin with praise. Praise God for who He is and for His incredible love and mercy. Use Scripture to guide you as you praise Him for His many attributes.

2. Confess

Take time to confess your sin to the Lord. Ask the Lord to forgive you for sinning against Him.

3. Read

Spend time in the Word and meditate on God’s Word. His Word is truth and will align your thoughts with His.

4. Ask

This is your opportunity to bring your hearts desires before the Lord. Ask Him to provide for your needs and the needs of others.

5. Thanks

End with a time of thanksgiving. Thank God for all the wonderful things He has done in your life. Thank Him for any answered prayers and thank Him for salvation.

Will you join the challenge?

I want to know who will join me on this 7 day prayer journey. If you will commit to praying every day for the next 7 days, let me know in the comments section below. I’d love to hear who will be my “prayer warriors” for the next week!