Forty-Eight: The Truth

The Truth

"I'm going to go see Nathaniel." I say, slowly just to test the waters. If he felt I should not then I wouldn't but I had to try.

He stiffened for only a second before responding, "I'm coming with –"

That is not an option, I needed an open and honest conversation not a brother stare down or debate about who's telling the correct version of the truth.

I cut in, "No, you're not. I'm going to go see him alone."

"No, I'm formally introducing you to the Pack today." He smirked clearly thinking this would make me let go of the subject.

He was wrong, "Great, I'm personally going to go invite Nathaniel then." I quip.

Alexander groans, "Why? Why must you always be so damn difficult?"

"I'm not entirely sure, can I get back to you on that?" This time I smirked.

"Hardy haha." He drawled.

I got up from my chair and made my way to the bed, where he was sat. He was still covered by the blankets, all he had done was sit up. I sat beside him and pecked him.

"I need to go see him, please. There's no need to keep him away from me, when you appointed him as my guardian surely you knew the danger. Why's it so different now? I mean, you know I love you not him. So, why keep us apart? He's my brother, technically, I'd like to see him."

He searched my eyes for a moment before shutting his and muttering the whole sailors vocabulary, "Fine."

A jaw breaking smile broke onto my face and I bumped up and down on the bed, "Thank you!" I sang.

"Yeah, yeah. Just stop with the bumping, my poor bed already has to be replaced."

I immediately stopped, "Yeah, how do you think I feel?"

"Oh, please. You loved it." He said, but his eyes betrayed him. You could see the worry in them.

I'd be a millionaire if I received money for every time he had asked me if I was okay throughout last night and this morning. Nonetheless, I thought it was sweet.

He was so gentle with me and my body, it really just turned me on all the more.

I got up, "I'm only kidding, I'm fine." Lie.

It hurt like a million paper cuts but I won't tell him that, he already looks like a puppy left out in the rain. I don't want to make matters worse. My poor puppy.

I kissed his forehead, "I'll be back soon." I crossed my heart, "Scouts honour." I giggled.

I pull up to Nathan's driveway and give myself a mini pep talk before I exit the car. It's okay. It's just Nate. You'll be fine.

Once I've convinced myself that nothing will happen – he won't try to kiss me or anything stupid, I exit the car. I jog up the porch steps then knock on the front door. It feels weird, actually knocking on his door, I usually just open it and do as I please.

However, I'm not quite sure where we stand.

He opens the door with a raised brow, he looks at me then looks behind him lightly opening and closing the door as if checking for something. He opens it wide again then checks behind me, stupidly, I turn to check with him.

"You?" He points at me, "You're knocking?" He laughs, "Miracles are real."

I chuckle, shoving past him, "Shut the hell up."