Nineteen: The Mother

The Mother
Elijah.

"I'm sorry! I had to do it for me!" I yelled at him. I knew he could hear me. I needed him to hear it from me.

I honestly wasn't leaving because of him. I would never.

"There are probably several other things I could've done besides this."

Isaiah chuckled, "There definitely is – I'm sorry, I didn't tell you that just to taint the image of your parents."

"No, no please don't be sorry. You couldn't have known I'd ask for a boat and try to flee the country." I shrug.

He laughs, "Yeah, I would have never thought you'd do all this... It's not the wisest thing, he will find you."

"I won't be gone long enough for that to happen. He's my mate, I'll always return to him."

I had every intention of going back, I had every intention of being with my mate – whatever the costs. I just had to come into terms with those hypothetical costs.

"We're not really going anywhere. I'm just going to circle the Cape. We'll get off at Mossel Bay, stay there while the search for you is hot then head back to Cape Town and stay under the radar." He smiled.

"That seems smarter. Maybe we could live among the human's, it would be hard to sniff me out with theirs being so heavy."

"Yeah, especially since everyone seems to think you're fleeing the country. But if you stay right under their noses, they'll never know."

"Nathaniel though. He will find me and he will tell Alex." I say.

"Unless I cloak you. All I'll have to do is hold you to harness some of your power than do the cloaking spell on both of us and we're set." He grins.

Duh. I facepalm myself, I had completely forgotten that he can use magic too. Although it's probably a bit boring only being able to do it when there's something to harness.

"Let's do it."

He sat beside me and grabbed a hold of my hand, shutting his eyes he starts chanting. I hear the words but wouldn't be able to repeat them for the life of me. He keeps going and I can feel the power being sucked out of me. It doesn't make me want to scream but I do cringe. It hurts a little.

When he reopens his eyes the feeling subsides and I let out a slow breath.

"Done," He beams, "How do you feel?"

"Normal." I shrug, "Should I feel different?"

"No." He chuckles.

"How do you know spells? Do you have witches in No Man's Land?"

"No. But Natalia taught us a lot when we were still with her."

"Is she still there? No Man's Land, that is."

"Not exactly. She lives right on the border that separates Nate's territory to No Man's Land. She lives in a little cottage."

"Ah." I nod.

"You're still really curious about me, aren't you?"

"Yeah." I scratch my neck.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't, I know nothing about this wolf but I feel the connection. I know we're related because I have a slight pull that makes me care about him and want to protect him.

I guess that's what it was that day when Alexander was torturing him, I knew him 'knowing something about me' wasn't excuse enough to be as concerned as I was. Now it all makes so much sense