Thirty-One: The Revival

The Revival
Alexander Russo.

One year and six months later

I was laying beside her, just like I do every night. Without glancing at the time I knew it was about three in the morning. I knew I had to leave in one hour and I just couldn't. It has been a year and a half. Eighteen months with no change. Eighteen months without her. Eighteen months and no episodes.

They've completed stopped and my wolf only makes appearances when he's ready to shift or forces me into it because he just wants me in the backseat.

These have been the hardest months of my life. With every day that goes, I can feel myself weakening. I can feel my Pack losing faith in me. Heck, even I'm losing faith in myself. I never really realised how much I needed this little dynamite in my life.

I push her hair behind her ear and kiss her forehead. I let my lips linger there as I shut my eyes.

Why didn't I just accept her the very first time I met her? Why didn't I just let her be with me? She probably hates me, especially so after this. She was shot because she's mated to me.

When I had interrogated that Ryan pup those months ago he told me that he was working on the command of Ivan Krushchev, I hadn't heard that name in years. I told Liah I knew the wolf that was after she and I do. I had encountered Ivan Khrushchev many years ago, I guess it could be enough years for me to have even forgotten but with the after effects still lingering I couldn't possibly.

He was a powerful Alpha somewhere in Russia, with a continent as large as that it was impossible to know his exact location. He often had business here in South Africa but I seldom went to go meet with him, no matter how much he persisted. Ivan was not the kind of Alpha one wanted to be allied with. He was a mad tyrant and I wanted nothing to do with him.

Krushchev's mate died those many years ago and although I was there, I was not the one who killed her nor the one responsible for her death and he knew so. I guess he just didn't care if he was going to have my mate shot.

The pup that shot Elijah was found some weeks later but by the time I had arrived in the cellar, he was dead. He had removed a tooth and swallowed a pill, he was found on the ground with a mouth filled with foam and blood.

Without him, I was back at square fucking one. Every lead turned cold, Khrushchev was untouchable. I knew this.

"I'm so sorry." I moved away from her.

Sitting with my back towards her, I look outside her window into the darkness. All I could tell apart in the dark were the trees, they looked beautiful especially in the moonlight.

The moon.

Did the Moon Goddess plan this? Was this her funny way of making me suffer? Payback for all the lives and Packs I've ended? All the fear I had instilled in so many lives for all the torture I had inflicted?

The Moon knew  Liah wouldn't actually get revenge nor want it, no matter how angry. So she was using my mate to get to me? To 'change my ways'?

Rage coursing through me I grabbed the lap and was about to toss it against the wall when I heard strangled noises coming from behind me. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion as I lowered my arm.

Seconds later I heard a cough accompanied by the sound of shifting. I turned to face her, my rage being replaced with excitement, her eyes were wide open in horror. She was trying to remove the drip. My eyes were glued to her, I couldn't believe it.

She was awake, my little dynamite was finally awake.

"Alexander move it, move it. Please, please take it out. I can't stand needles." She said urgently, her voice cracked throughout the sentences never rising above a whisper.