Chapter 29: Beginning of The End

This was going to be a tough day. I realised that right after Algernon had left the room.
He did it quietly and quickly, like a thief. Even I, myself, almost missed it. One moment he was there, and the other I was alone in my bedroom. I sighed and sat down. One couldn't not admire the Guard Captain after seeing what he was capable of. It was a real shame that he was such an ass. Oh well. It was not like my husband had been any less difficult. My husband. I mused. Such a strange feeling calling him that. It hadn't fully sunk in yet – the fact we were kind of family now. And lovers. I blushed at the thought and shook my head. No, this was definitely not the time to think about that.
A very tricky conversation was awaiting me. I had to explain to the Elvenking that his wife had to leave. Even more, I had to convince him to let her go. To let me go. Forever. Forget clever, I was going to need a miracle.
Even if I somehow managed to avoid getting married again – which, considering the circumstances, was very unlikely – there was no telling if Trouble could transport me back here. And even if she could, what of my kingdom? Could I just leave it? Abandon it for the worst fate? What of the people I was responsible for? No, I was no longer as selfish and reckless as before. Galadriel was right telling me I would find a different kind of treasure during this journey. Now I knew what it was. I learned what it meant to be a ruler.
A knock on the door made me drift out of my thoughts.
"Yes?" I called, turning.
Miluiel entered, and I saw her curtsy nervously and somehow shakingly, which she hadn't done before.
"Forgive me hiril vuin." She started, clearly stressed. "Your guest... the one with fair hair... he..."
"Yes?" I encouraged her, despite feeling nervous myself.
"He..." The girl swallowed. I could see tears in her eyes. "He forced himself on Geriliel."

***

"That idiot!" I roared running down the stairs. How could he! What was WRONG with him?!
According to Miluiel's words, one of my servant girls was assigned to Rhydian, as he was treated as my personal guest. She went to wake him up and help him with his clothes. What happened next were the screams the guards heard coming from behind the door to his room. When they barged in, all stressed, weapons drown, ready to fight, they saw the naked prince and elf maiden lying on the floor before them. Her dress was pulled up to her waist and she was panicking.
His highness was really lucky they didn't just cut him to pieces on the spot. Instead, the elves overpowered him, and then helped Geriliel up. Next, the other girl was sent to me. As an official Thranduil's wife now, I had the authority to pass judgement.

I entered the room with a loud slam, when the door hit the wall. It was very unladylike of me, I knew it, but I was too angry to care. Rape was one of those crimes I was very emotional about.
Rhydian blushed when he saw me, and moved uncomfortably, like he was trying to cover his most intimate part. He was still completely naked, but his hands were now tied behind his back. It was unnecessary for I was too furious to really take notice of those things.
"Leave us." I said to the guards, who were holding the prince in place. Trained well by their king, the men didn't even blink, just stood up and walked out. Prince and I were left alone.
My future-ex-fiancé smiled at me shyly and started saying something, but I didn't listen. I walked up to him and slapped hard. My hand immediately started hurting, but satisfaction which I felt was much greater. I wanted to hit him since yesterday, and now I had a legitimate reason for it.
"How dare you!" I hissed furiously. "You... You..." I couldn't find the right words to express my outrage. I was still hadn't forgiven him his display at the ceremony the other day, and as a result emotions overtook my mind.
"It's a misunderstanding!" He cried, clearly distressed. His chick was turning dark red in my eyes. I could see an outline of my hand on it.
"A misunderstanding?" I growled rising the other hand this time, a new wave of rage pouring into me. I was going to give him another red mark. For symmetry.
"Yes!" he called, and started explaining quickly. "I undressed so that she could help me put on that strange outfit." He pointed towards the clothes lying on the floor. "But then she tripped, and I tried to catch her and she screamed and..."
My hand halted mid way. I couldn't deny it took a lot of willpower not to accidentally let its flight towards his face continue.
"And?" I asked.
"And those men barged in on this." He continued. "I did nothing wrong, I swear!"
I stopped for a moment. Could it be he was telling the truth? Was I too reckless in assuming his guilt? I felt my own cheeks starting to burn. Ok, I was a little prejudiced after yesterday's events, but the circumstances were quite obvious... weren't they?
"We'll see about that." I said, turning around and heading out, so as not to show him how uncertain and embarrassed I suddenly started feeling. I was going to listen to the other side.

I found the girls in their bedroom in servant's quarters. Despite being a lot more modest than my own, the room was still nicely furnished and decorated. It seemed that elves simply didn't have things with no ornaments.
"Hriril vuin!" They called, when I came in. I could see by their eyes, that they were crying.
"Please sit down." I said. I didn't want to stand on ceremony. I was aware there wasn't much time before the king would take matter into his own hands, and that could end deadly for Prince Rhydian. "Could you please leave us?" I asked Miluiel. She hesitated, but finally left the room, giving the other girl a reassuring nod. "Geriliel." I turned to the supposed victim. "Do not fear, I am not blaming you." I said seeing she started shaking slightly. "I just want to know what exactly happened. Could you please tell me everything, step by step?"
"I..." She stammered. "I was sent to help... the guest in his morning preparations. He..." She took a deep breath. "He was still sleeping, and I woke him up. Then I showed him the outfit chosen for him, and... Hiril vuin I did not know it was offensive!" She dropped to her knees, crying.
"Offensive?" Well, that was new. No one said anything about the inappropriate clothes.
"Your guest got angry and tried to strike me, and... and I... I got scared." She kept explaining, tears falling from her eyes while I was trying to pull her up on her feet.
"Strike you?" I asked, my voice deceivingly sweet. Rape or not, Rhydian was still going to hear from me.
"Yes hiril vuin. But... I tripped then, and he fell on me, and I..." She blushed heavily. "I did not mean to... Oh, hiril vuin, it was all my fault." She finished and started crying again.
I hugged her reassuringly and called for Miluiel. Since the problem of alleged rape was solved, I now had to find out what was wrong with prince's outfit. I had to get to the bottom of this story, because it was way too suspicious to be dismissed as a simple accident.

I walked quickly through the corridors, hoping there was still time before my new husband was informed of the situation. I didn't want him to get angry today, especially since the reason was the man, who disrupted his important ceremony. I needed him to be in a good mood during our conversation. I sighed. This was turning out to be a greathoneymoon.
"You!" I called to the first elven servant I met. He stopped startled. I must have looked really scary. "Who is responsible for equipping our... guests with new wardrobe?" I asked him.
"Adan, hiril vuin." He replied, his wariness visible despite the polite manner.
"Lead me to him." I ordered, and almost tripped realising what I had just done. It was the first time I didn't feel like a stranger here, but a member of royal family. When did this happen? Did my night with the Elvenking have this effect on me? I wasn't sure, but it somehow seemed right to treat those strange elves as my people. My subjects.
We travelled down many stairs, and I was getting impatient. Time was something I didn't have, and there was so much to do! Finally, after gods knew how many twists and turns the man stopped before one of the doors. He knocked, and I was let inside.
The place looked much like a tailor's store. Fabric and clothes everywhere, pins and needles in everything. I was actually scared to move in case I would disturb something.
"Hello?" I called, because the servant elf who had brought me here, run away as soon as I walked in.
"Hiril vuin!" I heard an old man's voice, and a grey-haired elf emerged from behind one of the piles. He was smaller and skinnier than others I saw. I actually didn't know elves turned grey. I thought they stayed young forever and then just fell asleep one day. No one told me about them getting old. But this one certainly was. Smooth skin was a little too pale, and veins underneath it too visible. I watched him fascinated, and almost forgot what I came here for.
"Hiril vuin?" He repeated, clearly getting nervous under my unblinking gaze.
"Oh, right, sorry." I said, only just realising that I was staring. "Was it you who decided on the outfit for Prince Rhydian?" I asked directly.
"Yes." He replied, still looking puzzled.
"Any idea why would he think it offensive?" I inquired.
Man's eyes winded in shock, and his face went even more white, although one would think it was not possible.
"No, then." I guessed. "Fine. You'll come with me." I said, turning around. Yes, I was feeling very queen-like today.
To my surprise, the man didn't protest. However, he did not look happy either. With his shoulders slumped and his head lowered like he was expecting a punishment he walked after me slowly. We moved through the corridors towards Rhydian's apartments. I forgot the way of course, so another elf got ordered to lead us. Honestly, if I wasn't planning to leave in the near future I would be asking for a map of this place.

We arrived just in time, because in the distance I could see Thranduil approaching. I was surprised he decided to come personally instead of sending someone. Either way, his mood was probably just as bad as mine, so the best what I could do was to avoid making him even more mad.
I pushed Adan inside and locked the door. The prince was sitting in the same place, the same position, and from the looks of it, he was starting to understand that he wasn't at home anymore, and something bad actually could happen to him. His face was pale, and body tense. When he looked at me, I could see pleading in his eyes.
And then, suddenly, it struck me. I could use it to my advantage! It would be very evil of me but... buuut! However, first things first.
I lifted the clothes that Geriliel had given him from the floor and looked at them carefully. And then I dropped them back with disgust. Dear gods, what was that?! The material was see through on both trousers and shirt, and the size... I wasn't even sure if he could put it on.
"What is the meaning of this?" I asked, getting angry. Not liking Rhydian was one thing. I wasn't overly fond of him either since yesterday. Even being rude to him was justified – he behaved stupidly enough to bring it out in people. But this? This was low.
The grey-haired elf examined the outfit and instantly got nervous.
"Hiril vuin." He cried, and I had to make an effort to understand him. Although he spoke in common tongue, he wasn't very good at it, and distress didn't improve his pronunciation. "Forgive me, I do not know how it happened. These are not the clothes I've sent."
"What do you mean?" I didn't understand. How could the clothes be different? "Who did you give the clothes to?"
"Geriliel, My Lady." He replied, sounding worried.
"Then how come she brought here different ones?" I asked, not really expecting an answer. Something strange was happening here. I had to talk to my personal servants once more. But there was still one more thing to do here.
All this time, Rhydian was observing us, without speaking a word. I didn't bother giving him anything to wear. I decided some humiliation would serve him well. I walked up to him, and leaned over to his ear.
"You are accused of attempting to rape that girl." I whispered. He started saying something, but I covered his mouth with my hand. "You see, forcing yourself on a woman is a terrible crime here." I lied. "And considering the king's feelings for you... he'll just cut your head off... or some other part, without even checking if it's true." I let the last thought sink in, before continuing. "But there may be some hope for you." He looked at me with plea. "If you officially broke off our engagement, I might be able to convince Thranduil to be lenient. I'm sure he'll be more agreeable when you're not a threat anymore."
Just as I'd said it there was a knock on the door. A very loud one. It seemed that my husband's patience had ended and he wanted to take part in this meeting.
"Decide fast." I concluded. "I believe that's the Elvenking."
Thinking didn't take the prince long. He agreed enthusiastically, begging me to solve this terrible misunderstanding. He was even willing to return home right there and then, no clothes necessary. I didn't know what had the elves done to him, but I liked the result.
I walked up to the door, and unlocked them. Then, before anyone could come in, I walked out, pushing Adan in front of me. Within a moment I found myself face to face with very displeased Elvenking. Towering over me he studied my face and clothes like he was looking for something. Clearly not finding it, he relaxed a little.
"What have you..." He started to ask, but I quickly covered his mouth with my hand.
"I need to talk to you My Lord. It is urgent." I pleaded, looking as puppy-eyed as I could manage.
He frowned. Taking my hand from his lips he gave me a sharp nod.

Thranduil led me to a room nearby, instructing his people to continue keeping watch at prince's bedroom door.
"I am listening." He said, when I locked the door behind us. I didn't want anyone disrupting the conversation.
"Rhydian's innocent." I started. The king scowled, but I continued. "It was an accident. She fell and he just clumsily followed her."
The Elvenking snorted, clearly not believing a word I said.
"You are protecting him." He spoke, and despite being said calmly, it sounded like an accusation.
"No. I'm as far from protecting him as one could be. Believe me." I replied, sighing. It looked like the king was still feeling jealous. "But I am not going to let you punish an innocent man. However much may I dislike him. Besides." I approached my husband, and put my arms around his waist. "I have much better plan of how to get rid of him." I said, smiling at him.

As I expected, Thranduil was quite happy to play his role in breaking my engagement with Prince Rhydian. He would probably be more happy if he could just strike him down at the spot, but even kings couldn't always get what they wanted.
Anyway, the plan was simple. Painfully so. He was going to scare his royal ducheness, promising very spectacular execution. And then I would come in, begging for mercy in exchange for breaking off the engagement and quick departure to the world he came from.
There was only one thing I forgot to mention explaining the details to the Elvenking. Deliberately of course. It was the fact, that I would be leaving with them. But this was the topic for another time.

***

The throne room was full. I was standing just next to the throne Thranduil was sitting on and before us kneeled the culprit. He was dressed this time. In a simple clothes, but still. Held down by two guards, he looked nervous, and kept glancing around, looking for someone.
I guessed it was Algernon he was expecting to see.
Since our private meeting in the morning, I haven't seen my guard captain either. The knight had all but disappeared.
"We shall hear you, human." Said the king, not even bothering to acknowledge Rhydian's royal blood. "Speak."
It was sad to look at the prince as he struggled to stand up, shoulders slumped, head down. And I would have felt sorry for him if not the latest events. Now, all I could feel was anticipation. I couldn't wait to be rid of him.
"I, Prince Rhydian of Algesia release my claim on Her Highnesse's Queen Anne's hand." He cleared his throat. "As of this moment, our engagement is to be considered no longer existing."
As his words passed, I had to try hard not to start jumping out of joy. One problem solved. Finally! There were a few more to take care of, but now, with this one gone it would be much easier.
"Your words have been heard." The Elvenking replied. "They shall be recorded, and an evidence shall be produced." He waved his hand, and Rhydian was taken away. He would have to sign an agreement too. I wanted to have a document just in case he suddenly changed his mind.
Only then, when my husband was descending the spiral staircase, ending the party I caught the glimpse of red, curly hair in the crowd. And then I saw a wink sent my way. Someone clearly approved what just happened. And that someone was no other than Sir Algernon Rowanweb. And that gave me another idea.

Thranduil led me to his rooms – which didn't surprise me at all, since his contentment had been clearly visible. I found myself in his arms just as we passed the threshold, his lips on mine even before the door closed. Overwhelmed by his passion I was struggling to keep a clear mind. There were still things to do, and very little time. There was a conversation to be had... I was still thinking that, when my legs, working on their own wrapped themselves around his waist and I got carried to the bed. And then I stopped caring.

As a result of this little distraction we barely made it for dinner. We wouldn't have at all if I hadn't insisted on bathing separately. It was a strange meal since, surprisingly, both Algernon and Rhydian were also invited. Though I didn't understand why. The first one was glowing, like the happiest thing had just occurred in his life, and the other one looked like his exact opposite. The prince seemed both angry and gloomy, which was a bit creepy. He couldn't do much here, I knew it, but I was under the impression, that he didn't. Or at least, he hadn't accepted the fact.
The king himself was in a splendid mood. Content was written all over his face and body. I thought that whoever he had dealings with this evening, would be very lucky. And I knew someone would, because he had told me he had some matters to attend before retiring, and I was not to wait for him tonight.
After the king had finished the meal I decided to linger a little longer. I had a few questions for my dear guard captain, and was going to ask them before going to sleep.
Fortunately, the prince decided to follow Thranduil's example, and left us both alone.

"It was you, wasn't it?" I asked the knight, after dragging him into the first empty room I'd found, and locking the door.
"What was?" He asked innocently.
"You somehow replaced Rhydian's clothes with those... things to provoke him. You wanted him to get in trouble, so that I could blackmail him, right?" I more stated than asked.
"I always had a high opinion of your scheming abilities." He replied with a mischievous gleam in his eyes.
"You..." I really wanted to hit him with something, but knew it wouldn't end well for me. "Have you even thought what would have happened if I hadn't made it to the prince first? Or if he complained calmly instead of overreacting? Or if..."
"Of course." He assured me. "I had a few back-up plans."
"And they were..?" I inquired, doubtfully.
"How is convincing the king going?" He asked me instead of replying. "I've heard you ensured his good mood." He smirked knowingly.
"It's rude to talk about married couples personal affairs." I said the words I've heard many times from the witch who was teaching me.
"Queen's affairs are never personal." He answered, his voice much more stern than just a minute ago.
"I know, I know." I sighed and sat down on the nearest chair. "What if he doesn't agree? Any ideas?" I asked. It was not the most pleasant thought, but I had to be reasonable.
"Some. But we'll be solving problems as they arrive. For now just concentrate on convincing him." He replied evasively.
"Why are you being so secretive?" I asked suspiciously.
"The less you know, the less wrinkles you'll have. Your Highness." He grinned. I snorted.
"I don't think wrinkles are what I have to..."
The sound of pressed handle interrupted me. We looked at each other. They had to know the room was occupied. The key that was always on the outside of every empty chamber in the palace disappeared after all – a sure sign that someone was inside.
When the door didn't open, someone decided to knock. It sounded impatient.
"Damn." I said, hoping this didn't look as awkward as I pictured it. After all the Elvenking's young wife was just going to be found in the company of a single man. Alone. In a locked room. Why, WHY hadn't I thought of it before?
I moved to the door, knowing it wasn't wise to delay. It would only look more suspicious. It was a real luck, that there was no bed in the chamber.
I looked back one last time, making sure nothing looked compromising and gasped. Sir Rowanweb had... vanished. What? How?!
Since there was no time to check just where he had gone, I turned the key and moved away, to avoid being hit.
I recognised the man who entered, although I haven't seen him many times before. It was Thranduil's closest advisor. The one that didn't seem to like me much.
He scanned around hastily, and finding nothing looked me over suspiciously, clearly surprised he hadn't walked in on an orgy. A desire to get rid of the man started growing in me with great speed.
"Something wrong?" I challenged him. He grimaced.
"What are you doing here?" He asked in broken common tongue. No respect in his tone or words.
"I do not believe it is your place to ask." I lifted my chin, and looked down on him. Although I was much shorter than the man I managed to do it thanks to months of practice back at home.
He sneered and moved out of the way, letting me out. Yes, I was SO getting rid of that elf.

Angry, I walked up to my bedroom, and hesitated at the door. Sleeping alone when we had so little time left seemed a terrible waste. But could I just claim his bed as my own without his invitation? Wouldn't it be inappropriate?
On the other hand... wasn't I his wife? Shouldn't a wife be allowed to visit her husband's chambers without special permission?
To tell the truth I was a little afraid of angering him by my presence. I knew he cared for me, but still... those insecurities gained while childhood didn't go away so fast.
The problem was I was never wanted before. Not really. First an orphan, then a disappointment when my magical talent hadn't turned out to be as great as hoped. It was so hard to believe anyone would not consider me a bother. But if I didn't try, I wouldn't know... right?

Bathed and changed into a nightgown, trying to be bold I moved in the direction of Thranduil's room. I reached for the handle. Pressed it.
The door was open. Somehow it had always been. Was it a custom, or...
Not wanting to think of it, so that I wouldn't give myself false hope I entered.
The room was empty, the bed had been made and sheets changed. I crept in its direction silently, like I was afraid to be caught.
The king's scent was gone, but it still felt safe and comfortable to be here. I didn't really know since when he stopped being unpleasant to me. Instead, now I craved his embrace, his kisses, all of him.
Covering myself, I put my head on the pillow, and haven't even noticed when I fell asleep.

I was woken up by a soft caress. Someone was softly kissing my cheek. Then my lips, and then my neck. Feeling a tickling sensation I smiled, and stirred. He seemed to be waiting for this, for he claimed my lips once more, however this time with passion.
"I came to find a wonderful gift in my bed tonight." He whispered into my mouth after pulling back.
"Then perhaps you should unwrap it, My Lord, while it's still here." I suggested running my fingers through his hair, thrilled he was pleased to see me after all. Knowing I was loved and wanted made me feel awkwardly tingly below my waist.
He laughed, and ran his hands down my body to the edge of my nightshirt. Then, slowly, he started pulling it up, caressing and kissing parts of my body being uncovered. I moaned with pleasure, realising it was going to be a really long night. Again. I had to admit, for a man his age he had great stamina. I hoped I was able to keep up.

Morning came way too soon, considering what time we had finally gone to sleep. I stayed in bed for some time after waking, trying to work through the disappointment I felt about him being already gone when I opened my eyes.
When I finally made my way to my own chambers, Miluiel was the first person I saw.
"Where is the king?" I asked, after some time of pretended search of the things to wear. I felt stupid asking about it, but just couldn't resist. I was really curious what could be so important to leave so early.
"Hunting." She replied, and started preparing things for a morning bath, as I started eating breakfast she brought for me.
"Hunting?" I made sure I heard right.
"Yes, hiril vuin. With your guests."
I froze. The cup I was holding fell to the floor.