Chapter 19: Answers

I suddenly got an impression I was being watched. The feeling of dread was so strong, that I looked around with concern, but saw nothing. The good thing was the ring finally went silent, enabling me to think straight.

“Maybe you should call your guards?” I suggested, seeing he didn’t have his sword with him.

“There is nothing here.” The king replied, finishing checking the wardrobe.

I entered the room, still feeling uneasy, and looked around myself.

“You do not trust my judgement?” He asked, sounding amused.

“Better safe than sorry.” I answered, turning back to him. “I wouldn’t wish to wake up and see uninvited guests in my bedroom again.” I sent him a meaningful look.

“I am certain that visit has not been completely unpleasant.” He smirked, moving my way. I smirked back.
”Good night, My lord?” I asked, when he rose his hands to embrace me. They stayed up for a moment, and then fell down. His expression was hard to read.

“Have a pleasant night My Lady.” He inclined his head and turned to leave.

A thought that I didn’t want him to go would surprise and embarrass me if the reason wouldn’t be that scary feeling of someone’s presence. But I couldn’t say that. He would understand it in a completely wrong way. I had my ring to protect me, and it would have to do.

I watched him exit, but didn’t hurry to close the door. Something stopped me. A feeling that couldn’t be described. I couldn’t stop watching the entrance.

And then I saw them. Three mist-like shapes walking on the walls like spiders. They moved fast. If I had blinked, I would have missed them. They didn’t enter my room, instead going in the direction of king’s chambers. Reluctantly I moved to the door, planning to look outside, and heard a noise, followed by some elvish words. I recognised the king’s voice and rushed out of the room. Two guards passed just in front of my nose.

Thranduil was standing in the middle of the corridor, clearly angry. He gave some orders to the two elves and they hurried to obey. Mysterious creatures were nowhere to be seen.

“What happened?” I asked worried.

“Intruders.” He said curtly. “They will be dealt with. Go back to your chambers.”

I noticed that the sleeve of his coat was ripped.

“You’re hurt.” I remarked.

“Merely a scratch.” He replied leading me back to my bedroom. The ring, which shut up some time ago woke up repeating the word blood again.

Still a little spooked and uncomfortable I locked myself inside my rooms.

Falling asleep took me some time, and when I finally did I was woken up by an enormous pain. Shocked, I checked my body with shaking hands, but found no wound.

After lighting a candle I looked around for any signs of shadowy intruders, but saw none.

The pain didn’t want to go away, but I noticed that nothing in my body really hurt. What could be happening? And then it finally came to me. The bond! But that would mean the king was badly hurt.

Alarmed I walked out of the room, holding my candle tightly. The corridor was quiet and looked empty. I crept slowly to the door leading to Thranduil’s chambers and stopped not sure what to do. Knocking to the man’s door at night could be misunderstood, but the ache wouldn’t go away. So I just took a deep breath and pressed the handle. I figured that I would just look around and, if nothing was wrong, slip away unnoticed.