Chapter 22: Accidents Happen

[A little retrospection]

Thranduil woke up feeling uneasy. The pain, that has been haunting his previous brief moments of consciousness was no more, replaced by some minor distant ache. He looked around, searching for his wife, who he remembered sitting by his bed earlier, but she was nowhere to be seen. The room was empty, not even servants monitored his state and recovery. He felt irritation. His queen could be resting, after all she must have felt all his pain, which probably exhausted her, but there was no excuse for the others. He has been left here to die alone.

The thought was not new to him, and its bitterness didn’t pain him now as much as for the first time, when the realisation struck him many years ago. He was a stranger to his people. A Sindarian elf ruling over Silvans. So was Legolas, but his easy-going ways bought him their affection, while he had only fear and respect. And with his human wife there wasn’t even this much. She did not fear him, which was visible in her every act of defiance, and for that he was actually grateful. He would not want her to tremble at a mere sight of him. However, she did not respect him enough either which, on the other hand, angered him, but he knew that he was responsible for it himself, locking her away like a prisoner. And she did not love him. It was obvious in her every gesture. At first he did not care, convinced she would give in eventually, but seeing her with Legolas made him realise it was not just a lack of love. She despised him. Even though the bond made her body crave his, her mind did not. She thought he didn’t realise how fake her smiles were, but he did. Yet still he pretended not to notice, hoping that one day she may show him a real one.

His son entered the room, and he noted that Legolas was happy with his father’s recovery. The prince has not, however, bear good news.

When Thranduil found out what his sickness really was, and who saved his life he was not pleased at all. Anger mixed with despair in his heart when he realised his queen was gone, probably forever. For a moment he even wished he was dead after all, but then a presence appeared in his mind, and the familiar voice whispered yet another of her irritating remarks.

That makes it third time, you know. She said. I’m getting really good at it.

A shy hope awoke, lifting his mood a little. Maybe she would not abandon him after all.

Indeed, you are. Perhaps you wish to practise it a few more times? He answered cunningly, and felt her amusement.

Hard to say. It is a long walk to your forest, and both spiders and the king are so annoying. Did you know? He imprisons his guests and steals from them.She teased, and he decided to carefully inquire about her further plans.
With a wife who chooses to separate herself from him, you can hardly blame the king for his temper. He retorted.

I’ll be back. She assured him, and it would make him happy if not for the words that followed. I think. Sometime in the future. Perhaps.

Perhaps? He asked, feeling the irritation rise again.

I don’t know the details yet. She answered, and he couldn’t help getting angry.
I see. He replied much more coldly than he intended, and then she was gone, leaving him alone and aching again.

The next few days were a torment. His recovery was fast, but the fact did nothing to improve his mood. She has left him after all. He did not believe she would choose to come back, but this wasn’t the worst part. What really tortured him, was the awareness that he could do nothing about it. As a king he could not leave his people to chase her around the Middle Earth, and he was sure she realised that. No one else stood a chance either. Besides, he had no right to drag her back by force, however much he would wish to do it. If she asked Elrond or Galadriel for refuge, they would give it to her, and he would be a laughing stock.