Chapter 17: Changes

I woke up screaming. Looked around quickly and realised it was just a ridiculous dream. I exhaled with relief. Well, after all what’s happened no wonder I had nightmares. I was sitting for a while, thinking if it meant something, but then rejected the thought. It was just stress, it had to be.

I got up feeling tired, like I was running all night. I saw the ring shimmering and sighed.

“All right, what do you want?” I asked.

Blood. It whispered.

“What blood? Gosh, speak clearly, I’m not good at guessing.” I murmured.

Blood. It repeated.

“Yes, we’ve already established that.” I sighed. “Either say something that makes sense, or shut up.”

“Who are you speaking to?” Came a voice from the door. I turned around immediately, already knowing who I would see. That voice couldn’t be mistaken with  any other.

“What are you doing in my bedroom?” I asked before I could stop myself.

“The door to your chambers was open.” He replied entering. I could see he has just woken up as well, since he was wearing his dressing gown. And damn he looked good. Even just out of bed he was perfect. No hair standing up, no wrinkles. This was just not fair. I was afraid to even look into the mirror now. “And You were screaming.” He remarked. Only now I realised his sword was in his hand. Did he come for the rescue? Well, that was… funny. And sweet in a way, but mostly funny.

“It was just a nightmare.” I answered backing away. “Would you mind exiting? I wish to get dressed.”

“Who were you speaking to?” He asked again, clearly not interested in leaving. I looked around but I couldn’t see my own dressing gown anywhere, so I just kept standing in front of him in my nightshirt, feeling almost naked. It wasn’t very revealing but still.

“To my ring.” I admitted. Nice, now he would think I was crazy. But no believable lie came to my mind. And besides, I was nervous. 

“It talks to you?” His brows went up, and he walked even further in, closing the door. All right, that looked bad.

“Um, you should lock it from the OTHER side.” I said, as he moved closer and closer to me. I moved further back nervously, but he went around me, and started searching my bedroom, then my bathroom. He even opened my wardrobe, and checked inside.

“Are you looking for my lover or something?” I asked, quite surprised by his actions.

“Your door was open.” He remarked. “I am ensuring your safety.”

I understood his concern. I too thought it was strange. I remembered it being locked when I went to sleep. I felt uneasy. If someone opened the door, he or she probably came in. Otherwise what would they do it for? And I was sure any servant would close it behind him or her. Could my dreams be warning me?

“Oh, I was quite safe until you came in.” I murmured.

“Does my presence make you nervous?” He looked at me with interest.

“Any man in my bedroom makes me nervous.” I remarked.

“How many of them were kings?” He asked, approaching me with a smirk.

“Not many.” I answered, while he began circling me. Oh, I hated that. It made me shiver. “There was a knight though, captain of the guard to be exact.” I said thinking of Algernon, who woke me up a few times in one of his attacks of rage. “And a Lord Advisor.” I added remembering Marcus’s annoying lectures in the evenings. “Even one thief dropped by.” I thought about Algernon’s cousin visit, who wanted to say goodbye after being thrown out of the castle by his relative.