Chapter 7: An Unexpected... Something

The dwarves managed to escape my dungeons. I underestimated them.

~Who is she? How did she enter my mind? Of all creatures, a human woman!

Tauriel left. She disobeyed me, she will be punished.

~She was wearing Rivendell’s clothing. Is she connected to Elrond?

Legolas went after her. He has grown too fond of her.

~She travels with those fools, why? So many questions.

I cannot allow that union.

~And her behaviour, unpredictable! How should I play it this time?

The voice went silent for a moment, and then the red flash went through the black emptiness, that surrounded me.

She refused?! How dare she! Who does she think she is to ignore my invitation?! I should go to her… No, this would imply I care. Why DO I care? Ridiculous. How to punish her? Insufferable woman!

I woke up terrified. I could hear King’s voice in my dream, and he was furious… with me! Maybe I should have attended that dinned after all. Was it my conscience speaking, or… Was the king right? Could I enter his mind? Did I do it just now? Did he notice?!

I couldn’t tell the time, since there was no window in my room. I didn’t know how long I slept. I got up, and walked to the door. There were still no guards outside.

I heard my stomach growl. Yes, I definitely should have gone to that dinner. Well, since there was food, there had to be a kitchen somewhere. I just had to find it.

I was planning to ask the first elf I met for directions, but there was no one in sight, like suddenly the place had gone empty. Still I went on, getting more and more hungry, when I heard a clank of steel. I knew that sound. Some people were sparring. I thought that probably some elvish warriors were training. I got curious. I haven’t seen elves fight yet. I watched my own knights train a few times, but somehow I was sure it wasn’t the same.

I proceeded towards the source of these sounds, trying to locate it despite of the echo. After a few wrong turns I finally did.

Two elves were fighting with speed and fury I’ve never seen before. I stopped dead, realising one of them was the king. His hair was loose, chest bare and expression fierce. I could feel goose bumps appearing all over my body. If I ever met him on the battlefield, I would die of fright. He pinned his sparring partner to the wall, and then they both lowered the swords.

“Did you come to admire?” He asked, while the other elf bowed and left.

“Actually I was looking for the kitchen.” I replied, and instantly regretted it. He looked at me with fury in his eyes.

“You prefer to dine in the kitchens, than with me?” He hissed.

I didn’t understand why was me wanting or not to eat with him so important, something about king’s ego perhaps, but for the third time I wished I had gone after all.

“I fell asleep, I’m… sorry?” I said, hoping this would calm him down a bit. He didn’t say anything, just closed the distance between us, and lifted up my chin with his finger, gazing into my eyes. Then he stepped back and made a gesture. I felt my body move by itself, towards him. For a moment I didn’t know what has happened, then I understood. He could control me?! It was terrifying! And somehow I was sure it was also forbidden. I tried to free myself, but since I had just one magical ability, there was really no chance for it. And he was grinning. Enjoying his little show of power. He was probably trying to remind me who’s the boss here, and I felt I disliked him for that even more. I hated being forced and those who forced me. It resembled slavery. That was why I still fought, not giving up, whether it made sense or not. And then, after I walked almost half of the way something strange happened. I felt my ring warm up, and suddenly I was in two places at once. Here, looking at the King, and there, looking at myself by his eyes. I could see his eyes go wide, and at the same time feel them opening.