Chapter 26: Schemes and Plans

When I didn't open at once, the knocking repeated. Someone must have been very impatient. After reaching the door I hesitated again. Who could it be? Hopefully not the king. His Highness should have understood that I didn't want to sleep with him tonight. But then again he was the persistent kind, and I sort of hinted that I returned his feelings.

When the knocking sounded for the third time, I finally decided to open. It seemed a little more urgent than just an angry, sexually frustrated monarch. Besides, I wasn't sure if the king would take the trouble of knocking in this kind of situation.

It turned out I was right. It wasn't Thranduil on the other side of the door. It was Legolas.

"Hiri vuin." He bowed his head slightly.

"Legolas? What happened?" I asked surprised. He seemed serious and official, but refused to look at me for longer than a second. The tips of his ears looked lightly pink.

"My father has sent me to apologise to you on his behalf. An urgent matter requires his presence, and he may not be able to return to you tonight." He said quickly, like he wished to leave as soon as possible.

"And he sent you?" I asked both surprised and happy about the new turn of events. So the Elvenking wouldn't know about my disobedience. That was great! But why wouldn't he just send some servant to inform me about it? Why did it have to be the prince? If there was some trouble, wouldn't it be more sensible for the king to keep his son close?

"I... volunteered." – Legolas informed me. Well, that was just weird.

"Is there something you want from me?" I drew the most logical conclusion.

He looked around and I understood  the gesture. He wished to speak privately.

"Come in." I invited him inside.

"Are you planning to leave?" He asked just after I closed the door. That surprised me even more. How did he guess?

"Why do you ask?" I tried to sound innocently.

"I am not blind. I can see you are planning something." He gave me a wary look. "My father, he..." He stopped, hesitating. "Don't leave." He said finally.

I went silent, not knowing what to say. Should I explain? Would the prince understand, or would he refuse to trust my judgement like his father did?

Not hearing a response, Legolas continued.

"After you had left last time, his grief made him risk his life in the woods, fighting spiders and orcs. He was not in any danger." He assured me, seeing my worried expression. "However one could barely reason with him that time. It is hard to tell what would have happened had you not returned."

I still didn't know what to say to such statement, but I didn't have to do it anyway, because the prince's speech was far from finished.

"We live longer than humans, but we are not truly immortal. An elf can die in numerous ways. We can be killed in battle or poisoned. There are illnesses we are not immune to. And we can die of grief." He finally looked at me, his eyes full of torment and worry. "I fear this shall be his fate if you were to abandon him."

I felt myself going pale. Thranduil could die because of me again? Because I left him? No, it had to be an exaggeration. People didn't die of heartache. Come on, he was over six thousand years old! Such a long life makes you immune to this kind of emotions... right?

"I am sure it is not so..." I started, but he interrupted.

"It is." He stated, sounding angry. "Please, hiri vuin, promise me you won't leave."