Chapter 16: The King's Bargain

As the night of full moon was closing in, the prince was feeling more and more excited. His time was coming. He would finally please his father, and prove his worth to his older brother.

Standing alone in his room, he admired the magical bracelet, that belonged to his grandmother. The moment he put it on the queens hand she would become his loving wife. That was how his grandma Alesia, just a lowly witch, joined the royal family. He smiled. Two days, only two days and that sweet, and lovely witch would be his.

***

It took me a while to comprehend what I’ve just heard and seen. Everyone waited patiently until I was ready. Even the king didn’t move. He froze like a statue, observing my every move, while I walked around the room in short, quick steps. He seemed like a hawk, following its prey. I was happy about that actually. If he tried to touch me I might have done something unforgivable. I could feel him reaching for me through our bond though, probably assessing my emotional state. So far we weren’t able read each others thoughts, except for those which were shaped into a message. I hoped it was still true, because I was thinking some very unladylike words, and they were all adjectives describing the Elvenking.

Finally, after I was able to speak again, we passed to the more pressing matter. I related to them the events in mysterious ruins, my fight with Sauron, and that my ring saved me. I left out the part about our conversation though. That was just too intimate.

“Then he wished to control me.” Said the king walking in circles. He just couldn’t stand still since I started my story, clenching his hands and teeth every time I described Sauron’s attacks, and later, when I spoke about what happened in Ravenhill.

“Yes, but I think he desires my ring more, so now he just wants to kill me.” I remarked. That only increased his agitation.

“I have never heard of such an item, and being so powerful it would be named long ago.” Said Thranduil. “How did you obtain it?” He demanded.

“I have… found it.” I replied evasively.

“Where?”

“In a cave.” I answered, thinking how to lie without lying.

He looked at me with disapproval, apparently noticing what I was trying to do, but said nothing.

“Lady Galadriel.” I tried to change the subject. “Gandalf told me you could teach me how to protect my mind from Sauron. I don’t want to go to him again during my next vision.”

“I can indeed.” She answered. “However it would be best if you two worked together.” She looked at the king. “Straightening your bond may help fend off his dark powers.”

Thranduil looked at me, and words of protest got stuck in my throat. His eyes told me that he knew what I was going to say. They weren’t angry or sad, just accepting. So I said something else instead.

“How exactly can it help?” I asked.

“Sauron would have to fight you both to intercept your powers.” She replied. I looked ad the king with slightly more interest. So, I could use him as a shield.

“And how do we do it?” I wanted to know.

“That is for you to discover.” She said, and I felt irritation again. Oh, as usual. Would I ever get a straight answer here?  “But your seer talents could prove useful.” She continued.

“A few weeks ago I didn’t know I had them.” I retorted. “So I don’t think they will be of any help.”

“You are not trained?” Lady Galadriel looked surprised.