Chapter 15: A Price And A Gift

All I dreamed about was a bed. I didn’t care about it’s size or how comfortable it was. I just wanted to lay down somewhere, and sleep. But I couldn’t. Admitting that the king was right, and I needed his protection was unacceptable. Freedom meant more to me than comfort.

Lord Elrond, who was standing next to me during my little conversation with the ring noticed paleness of my skin and heavy breading, and offered me his arm. I took it without thinking. I liked him, and his touch wasn’t unpleasant to me like Thranduil’s.

“You should rest. You are overexerting yourself.” He whispered, leading me somewhere. He probably knew this place better than I did, so I just let him take me wherever he wanted.

“I’m afraid to close my eyes.” I admitted. “Last time I did it Sauron dropped by.”

“He visited you in your dreams?” Elrond faced me, looking worried.

“No, during my visions, twice. First time Lady Galadriel helped me, the second time I was transported to him.” I exhaled, it was so tiring to speak. “But I don’t know how it worked, so I have no idea what to avoid. So I just avoid everything.” I explained.

He started walking again.

“I see.” He said. “All she told me was that you were in danger. I was not aware it has gone that far. Still, you should sleep. You will need your strength.”

We entered into a chamber, that looked like and enormous dining room. Was it where feasts took place? I wondered.

I was sat at the top of the table, on the right side of an enormous chair, that probably belonged to the king. I wanted to sit elsewhere, as far away as I could, because eating next to Thranduil wouldn’t be a pleasant experience, but the girl who I thought was a servant, panicked and I took pity. I could survive one dinner, I didn’t want her to be punished because of me.

The host himself came after a longer while, and welcomed everyone officially. Except Elrond I didn’t know anyone who was sitting at the table, and felt anxious. I remembered these kind’s of meals in my own palace, and how Marcus whispered the names and titles of everyone who was dining with me on that specific day. I hated them, and I hated this one as well. But when the king started speaking elvish I even lost my appetite.

Didn’t they all understand how rude it was?! What a selfish race!

“Is the food not to your liking?” Asked the Elvenking, seeing I wasn’t eating.

You are not to my liking. I thought. I couldn’t say it with all the witnesses listening. I knew, from my own experience, that there was a difference between offending the monarch publicly and in private.

“No, it’s very tasty.” I replied, still not taking anything into my mouth.

“You are not eating.” He remarked.

Oh, you are so perceptive Your Highness. I answered in my mind, but remained silent.

He frowned, clearly not understanding what’s gotten into me.

“Lady Anne must be tired after a long journey.” Said Elrond, giving me the look. He clearly didn’t approve of my lack of appetite.

And that moment I started eating. It was better for my health to eat dinner, but I did it mostly to disagree. I wasn’t going to let them send me to my room like a naughty child.

“I’m perfectly fine Lord Elrond, but I am grateful for your concern.” I replied, after swallowing some kind of plant. To tell the truth I really didn’t understand how did they manage to put fruits and vegetables on the table in this time of year, but I guessed elves were very skilled when it came to plants.