Chapter 31: The Farewell

It had been a wonderful adventure. Although in the end I'd never visited Shire as I promised to Bilbo, nor had seen the wonders of Lorien, but still what I had seen was more than I could ever ask for. More than I'd ever hoped for. But such is the nature of humans that more tends to suddenly turn into not enough. Just two weeks ago I would jump to the roof if someone informed me I was free to go back. Now what I felt was acceptance mixed with a bit of regret. Funny how things work out.

Next few days were spent preparing for our departure. Messages were sent to both Elrond and Galadriel who had already left after the ceremony. Official documents were produced for the prince to sign – Algernon decided we couldn't be too careful with the man. And finally, our things were being packed. I didn't understand why, but the king insisted on increasing my wardrobe and jewellery by almost drowning me in gifts. It was probably the sign of his affection I should be happy about, but all I felt was shame. This wasn't right.
I tried to repay him in the only way I could by spending as much time together as possible.
During the nights, between lovemaking and sleeping we finally truly talked.
I told him the story of my life. How a little orphan girl was raised by a witch. How she turned out to be a disappointment. How she left to find her own way in life. Then I told him about the fire and my reasons for joining the party of ring-hunters. And then about the ring itself and how it made me a queen. Next I told him how I was hiding from my advisor and fell into a pond, that my ring turned into a portal.
"I am not the only man you ran from, then." He remarked with a slight smile.
"No, and probably not the last judging from my luck." I sighed.
"No wonder you're so skilled in it."
"Oh, I believe you are the one who provided me with the most experience." I snorted.
"Yet you still returned." He whispered, toying with my hair as we lay together, embraced.
"You stole from me, remember?" I retorted. "It's like tasking a hostage. I didn't really have a choice."
"Indeed?" He moved away to look into my eyes. "Then you are willing to do much for a handful of trinkets, wife. Had I known sooner I would have covered you with gold and gems. Perhaps then you would have come earlier to my bedchamber."
My outrage rose as the words were leaving his mouth.
"You... I didn't mean THAT!" I exclaimed, unsettled by what he was implying.
"At last I understand your need to travel with dwarves." He continued, teasing.
"Exactly." I couldn't stop myself. "Even the dragon seemed more pleasant than your annoying self." I replied meanly.
"Oh, I assure you, wife, there are more merits to having me by your side, than a dragon could ever present." He said, running his hand up my thigh.
And so it went. One story after another ended with a little banter, followed by kissing, and sometimes something more.
All this time I hadn't, even for a second, noticed any dissatisfaction he might have felt knowing I wasn't of royal or even a noble descent.
Finally I told him about my world and how it looked like. What races we had, what kingdoms neighboured mine. He listened with interest, sometimes asking questions and demanding I explained something to him, which I happily did.
He, on the other hand shared his past with me. How he became king after his father's death, – or sleep, I could never understand this one – the war with Sauron when he was still young and inexperienced, and his first marriage followed by birth of a son.
His wife turned out to be a semi-political match. She was one of the few of Sindarin blood, and suited him the most. As a king he, obviously, couldn't marry any commoner. But he cared for her, loved her as he believed, enough to be devastated after her death.
And then I came... and he was losing me too. This was the only thing we didn't discuss. No plans for the future, no journey details. Nothing that reminded us of approaching parting.

The last day felt like some unreal kaleidoscope of events. We got up early, before dawn and got ready for the road. It was necessary to travel to Lorien, since there was the spot both Algernon and Rhydian first appeared in. The prince was still under guard, and extremely unhappy. Algernon on the other hand seemed to find common tongue with my husband, and they discussed the details of our travel with no hostility involved.
I dressed in comfortable clothes - despite my maids' efforts to put something pretty on me – and repacked quickly, leaving most of the clothes behind. The gems, however I decided to take with me. Not only those belonging to me, but many more Thranduil had gifted me with.
I did it mostly because of Algernon's insistence. Be it up to me, I would take no more than memories beyond the things that were mine. Taking more felt like stealing.
But I had already stolen from him, hadn't I? His peace, his heart – if he truly loved me, and not was just overwhelmed with feelings created by linking of our souls. And I felt terrible about it.
Algernon took it upon himself to secure all necessary documents we could use against Rhydian when we came back. He didn't want him as my husband just as strongly as I did, and his renouncement of out engagement would be very helpful in achieving that goal.
Not until I saw the first line of trees of Lothlorien I fully realised this was it. The end. I was really going back. For good.
A farewell party awaited us. Both Galadriel and her husband were present. Elrond also came with both of his sons and a daughter who I could finally meet. It surprised me really, that so many people even cared about our departure, but then again I WAS soulbnded with the king of their kind. I wasn't just Anne anymore.
"Is everything prepared?" Algernon asked Galadriel, and it surprised me how familiar he was with her.
"I have done what you asked." She confirmed and smiled at me with encouragement.
Are you certain you wish to leave? I heard her voice in my head.
I have no choice. I replied. So, no one told her what this was all about. Good. I didn't like the idea of everyone knowing the Elvenking almost died because of me.
"And what would that be?" Thranduil wanted to know. He seemed tense, and was glancing around every few minutes, especially in the direction of the mountains. Remembering my last travel through the caves, I started getting nervous too. I knew what vermin could linger in those impressive mounts of rock.
"Lady Galadriel was kind enough to find us materials for the circle." Algernon replied for her, lifting a jug of some amber-colour substance from the ground. "Just drawing it is not enough, something has to bind it, and water is not enough here. It would sink in too quickly." He explained seeing my astonished expression.
"I thought you said it would be easy." I murmured, agitated by his secrecy. Honestly, this wasn't any kind of classified information. He could have told me everything.
"It is, my queen." He smirked. "Draw a circle. Fill it with resin. Step inside. Done." He recited casually.
"And what would you have filled it with, if Lady of Lorien wasn't kind enough to provide us with tree juice?" I asked, provokingly.
"Blood." He glanced in prince's direction with a greedy expression.
Rhydian stirred in his saddle, still up on the horse, its reins held by two elves. He was clearly aware of knight's murderous intent, and seemed to fear it. I hadn't seen the prince since the hunt, but he looked a little thinner and more tired than before. Maybe it was his broken leg that wouldn't give him peace, or perhaps the black eye, now starting to turn yellow, decorating his still handsome face. Who gave him the last one, I could only guess. But my money was on the captain of my guard.
"Nice thought." I approved loudly, keen on unnerving the prince even more. He deserved it. I knew it wasn't the nicest thing to do, but I wasn't a nice person. I could never tolerate the methods he used. First blackmail, then assassination attempt. And all this time he hadn't once thought of asking me what I wanted. Thranduil wasn't a saint either, but he at least had a good reason for wanting me safe and close. Our bond demanded it whether any of us agreed to it or not. On Rhydian's part, however, it was pure selfishness.
"Describe the ritual to us." Elrond demanded, speaking for all of us. The knight hadn't breathed a word about the details even to me, and it seemed that everyone was curious.
"I already have." He replied, busy with carving. "After the circle is formed, the three of us will step inside. I shall recite the spell I've received from the wizards, and then we wait."
"How long?" The Elvenking inquired, putting his hand possessively on my waist. It seemed to be an unconscious move, and it showed how much he didn't want to part with me, if the presence of other monarchs didn't bother him, even subconsciously.
"I cannot tell." Algernon spread his arms. "However there should be a wizard guarding the portal all the time, so I assume..." He hesitated. "A few minutes."
Kings hand tightened around me as he moved closer. The knight finished drawing the circle, and started filling it up with resin.
"Is it safe?" My husband wanted to know.
"I am still alive as you can see, your highness." He replied, not looking up.
All this time I felt lump in my throat grow. A few minutes. This was how much time was left to never seeing him again. Just a few minutes. Suddenly everything got very real.
I didn't understand why I was feeling so depressed. I didn't really love him, did I? I mean, he WAS good in bed, and handsome, and a king, but... This was just a kind of infatuation. Good looks and sex were not the best basis for a relationship. Our characters clashed all the time. I lied to him or hid something from him almost every time we spoke. And besides, I wanted to go home. I had wanted it for a long time now. So why was I feeling like that?
I wasn't given the time to brood over all of it, however. Thranduil turned me to face him, and leaned to my ear, whispering something. When he finished, I looked up at him with question. I couldn't understand the word he said. There was no time to ask questions, though. A moment later the circle was finished, and guards dragged Rhydian in. I was required to follow.